VMware Communities
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Responses/testers needed for linux

Having been a loyal supporter/tester/endorser of Fusion for so long, I appear to be one of the users devastated to discover that having bought 7 to use with Yosemite (I was perfectly happy with 4 hitherto), it wont actually run windows. I have a 7 vm as well as an XP one which are both now functionally useless. Neither start up without endless spinning wheels in OSX and operation, when started after the 35-45 minute boot wait, which is so slow that even opening windows explorer takes a 35 second wait, if you can get the VM to take a command without even more endless spinning wheels.  Then there is the often 30 minute shut down time!

I am not sure whether it is the upgrade to Fusion 7 which has caused this slow-as-molasses operation or the upgrade to Yosemite, though numerous users on this forum appear convinced that something Apple can address in OSX is causing the problem.

I wonder if the users who only use windows and report this problem could try installing linux please?  I have Mint 14 in a VM, Voyager in another and Zorin in yet another on my 2010 MBP which has 8 gig of RAM.  Having struggled with windows getting slower and slower for some months now, I just started up the Linux VMs in desperation. Amazingly, they work fine!!!

Can anyone else who is having these problems try linux and see if Fusion 7 works fine for them as well please? Or is the real situation that they WILL work fine for a month or so and then slow down to molasses speed?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for posting this without adequate testing: Running DariusD's terminal command seems to have cured this problem.

It seems that not only was this not a Fusion problem, as the Linux VMs work fine, it isnt even an Apple or windows problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for posting this without adequate testing: Running DariusD's terminal command seems to have cured this problem.

It seems that not only was this not a Fusion problem, as the Linux VMs work fine, it isnt even an Apple or windows problem.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

licensedtoquill wrote: Running DariusD's terminal command seems to have cured this problem.

Since, at this point in time, "dariusd" hasn't replied in this thread what command presented by "dariusd" are you referring to?

0 Kudos
licensedtoquill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By opening Terminal, and running DariusD's command:

sudo nvram boot-args=debug=0x10

on my mid 2010 mbp using Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0F with SMC Version (system): 1.58f17

0 Kudos