VMware Communities
jshakerley
Contributor
Contributor

Resolution problems (blank screen) with game running on Windows XP VMWare 5

Dear reader,

I am running Windows XP Home Edition 32 bit on VMWare 5.  I have 3D acceleration, hypervisor and code profiling turned on.  When setting up the guest OS I made sure everything met the game requirements (it's a game from 2007).  However when the game loads it's resolution is incredibly low (480 x something!) and, when I try to alter the resolution settings within the game options to something bigger, the screen just goes blank and I have to send a crtl-alt-del to quit.  I have the latest version of directx installed that's compatible with the OS (August 2009 9.0c).

Can anyone help?  With thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

which game are you trying to play ?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
jshakerley
Contributor
Contributor

allgame.com/game.php?id=51412&tab=sysreqs

and allgame.com/game.php?id=64947&tab=sysreqs

Does nobody have any help to offer?  Would trying Vista do the trick?  I was thinking of buying a copy of Home Basic tomorrow.

Is it because I'm running these games with a 32 bit guest on a 64 bit native machine?

PLEASE respond.

0 Kudos
jshakerley
Contributor
Contributor

Vista with the new VMWare Fusion 6 running hardware version 8 (compatibility) seems to have solved this, but the graphics rendering is SLOW which is a bad limitation of VMW6.

Can anyone help with the slow graphics?  Also the sound on my older games in now crackly - can anyone suggest an audio driver which might help with that?

0 Kudos