VMware Communities
uklloydi
Contributor
Contributor

Resizing an Hard Drive - MacOS/Catalina VM

I have an old VM running Catalina and want to upgrade to Monterey. When I run the installer it says there is not enough space. So, I **bleep** down the VM and have changed the HD size from 40gb (thereabouts) to 80gb which wil be PLENTY of space.

When I re-start the VM, the HD space is still showing at the 40gb mark: 

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 23.16.30.png

But in the settings it is showing as 80gb :

Screenshot 2022-06-22 at 23.17.47.png

I have tried setting/unsetting the 'Pre-allocated' checkbox a few times, neither setting seems to expand that VM's HD size. What am I missing/doing wrong here?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Increasing the size of the virtual disk doesn't increase the size of the partition within the guest OS, I don't know how you do that with MacOS but it should be possible.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It's macOS being confusing with how-to resize partitions...

See my reply here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Mismatch-in-hard-drive-sizes/m-p/1388589...

Hope this helps,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos