VMware Communities
TechNick07
Contributor
Contributor

Resizing a window Fusion + Win 7

Hey Guys,

Having trouble with VMWare Fusion 4.1.1 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard

Previously I was running Windows XP in this environment and it worked very well. I was able to resize theFusion window to any size AND shape i wanted (this is handy so I can have half my sceen running Fusion and the other and internet window or any other application.

I went and upgraded my the XP (withing Fusion) to Windows 7 and now I have a range of issues. It seems as though the Fusion Window is set by the resolution within the OS so I cannot reshape to what ever shape I desire which in turn means that I cannot utilise my screen effectively.

When I am resizing the window for some reason it reverts back to a small resolution leaving Fusion unworkable and unusable. Help

Cheers

Nick

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

0 Kudos
TechNick07
Contributor
Contributor

No Ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please have a look followings link.............
Virtual Power
0 Kudos
Rich_Cohen
Contributor
Contributor

That link is about resizing disks not windows.

0 Kudos
Rich_Cohen
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and worse.  I have a 30" display set to 2560 X 1600.  The most Windows will allow is 2048 X 1536.  The 1536 isn't so bad, but I'm loosing 20% of my available screen wide and I need it.  I'm posting a message for tech support.  If I get a useful answer, I'll post it here.

0 Kudos
JeremyWitt
Contributor
Contributor

I too have the same problem, has anyone found a solution?

My system specs are:

• MacMini Server (Intel i7 2GHz model)
    • Running native OSX Lion Server (version 10.7.5)
    • VMware Fusion v5.0.1 Professional
      • Windows 7 Enterprise with SP1 (64-bit) fully patched
  • Dell 3008 UltraSharp 30" display

I am using the Apple Mini-DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI converter THROUGH an IOGear 4-Port Dual-Link KVM switch (capable of resolution up to 3840x2400)

I am achieving 2560x1600 on other systems connected through the KVM to my 30" display.

I am achieving 2560x1600 from the MacMini natively within OXS, but the Windows VM only allows me to select display options for 800x600 through 2048x1536 just as the others stated.

I have even tried setting the VMware Fusion display setting to support a Retina display (and rebooted the VM) in hopes that this would unlock the full native screen display.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you,

-Jeremy

0 Kudos
Rich_Cohen
Contributor
Contributor

Jeremy,

I'm embarrased to say that VMware tech support was able to help me resolve this issue, but I forgot to post the solution here.   Here's what they did:

1.  Tried to remove VM tools and restarted VM Fusion.   This didn't work.

2.  Tried a second time and it worked.

3.  Reinstalled VM tools .

4.  Restarted VM Fusion.

It worked.   Please note that I have no idea why the first uninstall didn't work.   I think they used a different method to uninstall the second time.

Good luck.  If you can't make this work, contact tech support directly.

Rich

0 Kudos
JeremyWitt
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Rich,

I luckily didn't have to uninstall/reinstall anything... instead, as you suggested, I just needed to install VM Tools and I am achieving 2560x1600 now.  I have never installed VM Tools to achieve better video resolution so I would have never thought to do this if you hadn't mentioned your success.  Thank you,

Problem solved!

-Jeremy

0 Kudos