Repeated crashes when using 3d acceleration on osx

Host:
GPU: Radeon Pro Vega 20

Guest:

VmWare:
version: fusion 12.2.4

Crash:
prompt: "an unexpected error occurred in vmware and windows was shutdown"
mksSandbox.log: "MTLRenderer: Error during command buffer execution: Internal Error (00000001:Internal Error)" followed by:
"PANIC: Error during command buffer execution: Internal Error (00000001:Internal Error)" in next line
host: new file "Kernel_{TIME}_{PCNAME}.gpuRestart" in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports, always heading with: "
Event: GPU Reset
Date/Time: {TIME}
Application: mksSandbox
Path: /Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/mksSandbox"

This one is really bothering me.
It only happens with 3d acceleration enabled and when running games (textedit etc runs indefinetly without crashes)
The periodicity is not at all predictable, sometimes I can go without any crashes an entire day and other times im getting a crash right after having already crashed and rebooted 5 minutes prior
monitoring performance doesnt indicate anything out of the ordinary (like sudden hardware demand, or steadily increasing memory usage)
Hardware diagnosis suggest everything is as it should be too
the hardware, especially the gpu, is not running hotter than it should either
switching vmware hardware versions doesnt change anything
disabling 3d acceleration technically works, but also renders the machine borderline useless

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

What's the host hardware?

0 Kudos
timpictor
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for answering!

the cpu is a 2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 and next to the dedicated gpu it has an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

im using a 27inch 60hz monitor when running the vm (plugging out my second monitor)

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Is it a real mac?

0 Kudos
timpictor
Contributor
Contributor

yes the host is a real macbook pro from 2019, bought for my studies

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Sorry, had to ask 🙂

So a number of ideas:

1) If you're using it in clamshell mode, open the lid and elevate the macbook on a stand (could be thermal overheating)

2) Run an apple hardware diagnostic on the machine https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

3) boot into safe mode and see if it still does it https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

4) Build a new guest VM from scratch (not converted from a machine or a copy of the old one) and see if it does it.

0 Kudos
Min-Yu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I need the complete log files for vmware.log and mksSandbox.log (right after you encountered the crash).

BTW, what is the game you played when you encounter this issue?

(If possible, also tell me your game options, such as MSAA 4x, screen resolution, d3d version, etc)

0 Kudos