VMware Communities
bobfritts
Contributor
Contributor

Repartition guest C drive (Windows)

I have a 320GB Hard drive in my Imac. I have 160 Gb set up for OS X, and 160 Gb set up in NTFS for Windows.

Fusion runs just fine with a XP VM and also with a Vista VM.

I want to create a new partition in the 160Gb Windows C Drive so I can move 40Gb of data to the new partition, leaving the VM 40 Gb smaller for backups.

I have tried Acronis Disk Director to create a new partition of 80Gb, and it seems to run OK, reboots and reports that it has created a new partition, but it has not.

How can I create a new partition without starting completely from scratch?

Message was edited by: bobfritts

There is no Bootcamp installation or partition. The system was set up as a native Fusion installation. Therefore, whatever the Fusion defaults are is how it is was created. What I am trying to do is to break the existing Fusion 160Gb (C Drive) partition into two partitions, leaving both my existing VM's untouched, but create a new data partition out of the unused space in the 160gb (C Drive) partition which would be useable in Windows. I am familiar with Windows, but not OS X. I have been trying to use Windows methods to partition the C Drive as if it were a pure Windows C drive, without success.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I've read and reread your post several times and frankly it extremely difficult to get a clear picture.

Please consider editing your post to be more explicit and specific.

You say "I have a 320GB Hard drive in my Imac. I have 160 Gb set up for OS X, and 160 Gb set up in NTFS for Windows." and while it's easy to assume you may have physically repartitioned the physical hard disk into two physical partitions one using the HFS+ File System and the other using the NTFS File System it is just that, and assumption!

Considering one can run a physical windows partition with XP or Vista installed on it as a Virtual Machine and you stated you had both XP and Vista Virtual Machine's you didn't state whether or not these were Native Fusion Virtual Machine's or Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine's or a combination of the two.

Etc, Etc, Etc.... Get the picture! It's very difficult to determine exactly what your trying to repartition a physical hard disk volume or a virtual hard disk volume, etc, etc, etc!

Please have a look at the following from Fusion Forum's main page: If you want to ask a question, read first.

0 Kudos