VMware Communities
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Repairing Windows XP, can't boot from CD.

I need to repair a Windows XP Virtual Machine in Fusion. I have followed the steps in this article: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101384.... However, I still am not able to boot from the CD.

Step 3c in the above article says "Start the virtual machine, and press any key to boot to the CD when prompted.". I'm NOT prompted anything when I start the VM.

What am I missing? I'm using Fusion 4.1.2 on 10.6.8.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Press_any_key_to_boot_from_CD.png

0 Kudos
Doc69
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have added a floppy drive, linked to the "vmscsi-1.2.0.4.flp" file, and turned it off. I have also enabled the CD/DVD drive and chosen the CD that's in the CD-ROM drive of my Mac. My VM is off.

However, when I choose CD/DVD as "Startup Disk", the "Restart" button is grayed out (the "Restart" button is grayed out even if I choose "Hard Disk" or "Floppy" as well).

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The "Restart" button is only active when the Virtual Machine is running.  (Otherwise logically it would just say "Start" if it was a valid function. Smiley Wink)

If the Virtual Machine is not running/suspended and you've selected CD/DVD from the "Startup Device" then close the Settings and start the Virtual Machine normally.  It should then boot from CD/DVD id the disc is bootable.  BTW The Floppy should be connected in the Settings before starting the Virtual Machine since you're setting the CD/DVD to be the "Startup Device".  (Technically you could connect it after starting the Virtual Machine however since you've set a specific "Startup Device" it's okay and easier to have it connected before starting the Virtual Machine.  This way when you have to press F6 when prompted it's already connected.)

0 Kudos