VMware Communities
alcoutinho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Repair Windows 10 after moving VM from an old Macbook to a new one

Hello all. I've been using a VM running windows 10 pro on a Macbook pro 2015 and just bought a new Macbook pro 2020 and decided to move the VM to the new machine. Both machines are running OS X Catalina. I've installed fusion 11.5 and did all the needed steps to transfer the VM to the nem machine. After turning the VM on (on the new machine) it crashes on Windows 10 initialization. I need to use a Windows 10 installation media to try and repair the boot files or even restore the Windows installation. I've created an USB Bootable stick  containing Windows 10 media using Microsoft Media Creation Tool and tried to boot up with it on the VM and It doesn't recognize the USB stick as a boot device. I tested the USB stick on a Dell machine and it booted up from it normally. How can i get the VM in Fusion to boot up from the USB Stick so I can repair/restore my Windows 10 installation? Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This should work without having to go through the .OVF route. That will only complicate matters.

Your steps _should_ be fine, but there are a few gotcha's.

The first important one is to shut down the VM (and not suspend) before copying the VM to an external disk.

It is also recommended that you commit all snapshots before doing so.

Another one is to shut down VMware Fusion before you make the copy.

After you have copied the VM to your new laptop, you can add it to VMware Fusion.

On the first start, your VMware Fusion will ask "did you copy or move" the VM.

You should answer "Move". The reason for that is that if you answer "copy" then VMware Fusion will initialize some of the virtual hardware devices with new hardware ID's and your Windows will need to be reactivated.

There should not be a "windows repair" or anything on boot of the OS.

If you still do see that then perhaps the disk you used to migrate the VM has problems and I would recommend to use another disk.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

what steps did you take to move the vm?

what version did you have of "vmware Fusion" on the old mac?

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
alcoutinho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello.

Thank you for your reply. I just copied the ".vmwarevm" file from the old mac (following the steps from Vmware KB) and set all the "Security and Privacy" adjustments as recommended on the new mac (and as they were set on the old mac). Then I just opened the file on the new mac Fusion and selected the option for moving the VM to the new computer and it started to boot with the Windows 10 "Preparing Automatic Repair" message and then the "Diagnosing PC" message shows up but then I got the Blue Screen saying that "Automatic repair could not repair your computer". I've tried to use the recovery options available from the Windows Image itself but couldn't have some commands to run or even restore the whole system from scratch (keeping the files). I'd like to try to recover it using the Boot USB Stick but can't get the VM to boot from it. Both Fusion versions are the same (11.5.5) and both mac OS are Catalina. It's important to say that the old macbook pro is a 2015 machine and the new one is the new macbook pro 2020.

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

try to export the virtual machine in "OVF" format and import it into the new MAC.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/11/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-16E390B1-829D-4289-8442...

Export a Virtual Machine to OVF Format - page 75 of the attached file

Importing Windows Virtual Machines  - page 71 of the attached file

ARomeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

This should work without having to go through the .OVF route. That will only complicate matters.

Your steps _should_ be fine, but there are a few gotcha's.

The first important one is to shut down the VM (and not suspend) before copying the VM to an external disk.

It is also recommended that you commit all snapshots before doing so.

Another one is to shut down VMware Fusion before you make the copy.

After you have copied the VM to your new laptop, you can add it to VMware Fusion.

On the first start, your VMware Fusion will ask "did you copy or move" the VM.

You should answer "Move". The reason for that is that if you answer "copy" then VMware Fusion will initialize some of the virtual hardware devices with new hardware ID's and your Windows will need to be reactivated.

There should not be a "windows repair" or anything on boot of the OS.

If you still do see that then perhaps the disk you used to migrate the VM has problems and I would recommend to use another disk.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
alcoutinho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.

I have followed each and every step as you pointed out on your message when I first copied the VM. In spite of that I decided to copy the file all over again. The only difference is that on the first time I copied the file over "Airdrop" and now I used an external hard drive to do so and it worked fine. I should have tried that before posting here. Thank you for your message anyways.

Just curiosity, because I couldn't find anything solid about this, in the case I really need to boot up using a USB Stick for restoring or reinstalling Windows 10 how can it be done on Fusion?

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm not sure if booting from USB works nowadays.

There will be ways to do so, but it might involve having to boot into the UEFI shell and select the correct boot partition from there.

Perhaps someone else knows.

What I would do in your case however is to download an iso file directly from Microsoft.

Eg. via: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

If you visit that link from within macOS using Safari then you'll be able to download the iso directly.

From the iso file you can boot your VM.

As long as you install the same version to a VM that already has an activated Windows 10 install on there, it should still work.

Beware to install the exact same version of Windows 10 (as in same edition/features, it can be a newer version)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
alcoutinho
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you again Wil.

Maybe that's the best option.

Have a good one!

Andre

0 Kudos
ErinRobinson18
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

THANK YOU!! I tried several ways to get my vmware fusion Windows OS moved to my new MB and this worked perfectly!