VMware Communities
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rename a Virtual Machine....

Does anyone know how to successfully rename a virtual machine?

For example, if I create a virtual machine using Workstation 5, and then copy it over to my MacBook (which is running Fusion), tell fusion to open the virtual machine, it does recognized that the machine has been copied over and asks if it was moved or copied (supposedly to change the MAC and perhaps the SID (if windows)) but it uses the file name of the VMX file, so my machine might end up with the name "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmx". Well if I download a virtual appliance or machine that also has that name, it is hard for me to identify the differences.

I've tried renaming the machines manually (by going into the directory and renaming the files, editing the VMX file, etc) but it still has problems, it want the original name.

Has anyone been able to find a way to rename their virtual machines once they've been created?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Directory it resides in = "/Build/Virtual-Machines/debian-4-basic"

Name in Virtual Machine Library = "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmx"

As an alternative to renaming the directory to debian-4-basic.vmwarevm, you could also rename "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmx" to "Debian 4 Basic Template.vmx"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Does anyone know how to successfully rename a virtual machine?

In the VM's .vmx configuration file look for and if it doesn't exist create the following entry.

Example: displayName = "Windows XP Professional SP2"

supposedly to change the MAC and perhaps the SID (if windows))

Yes to the MAC Address. No to the SID

Edit: Added additional information:

For example, if I create a virtual machine using Workstation 5, and then copy it over to my MacBook (which is running Fusion)

If you want to change those basic folders to a Fusion Bundle Package, basically you just add the .vmwarevm extension to the folder containing the individual VM you wan to show as an Bundle Package however you should do it by Ctrl+Click (Right-Click) the target folder and select Get Info then in the Name & Extension frame add .vmwarevm and check the Hide extension check box.

For Refefence:

By default Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder.

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP SP2"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP SP2.vmwarevm" folder by right-click (or Ctrl+Click) the "Windows XP SP2" icon and select Show Package Contents.

To Edit the .vmx File:

You would right-click (or Ctrl+Click) on the "Windows XP SP2.vmx" file and select Open With > Other... then in Choose Application choose TextEdit.

0 Kudos
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi WoodyZ,

Thanks for the note, I changed the "DisplayName" within the VMX, and when the virtual machine opens up, it contains the new heading within the window Title area. But when I shut everything down, go away, come back, run VMware Fusion, and I open up my Virtual Machine Library, it still contains the old name. Depending on how many machines I'm testing, this is still confusing to figure out which is the correct one to run.

It might be possible that if I was able to remove the virtual machine from the library list, and then re-add it, then it might pickup the new "displayName", but VMware gives you no control over managing the "Virtual Machine Library" (only add, no remove, rename, move, etc)

It seems like basic functionality was left out.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi WoodyZ,

It might be possible that if I was able to remove the virtual machine from the library list, and then re-add it, then it might pickup the new "displayName", but VMware gives you no control over managing the "Virtual Machine Library" (only add, no remove, rename, move, etc)Just click the entry you want to delete on the library window and press Delete.

Just click the entry on the Library window and press the delete key.

Edit: Note: That just deletes the entry on the Library window not the actual VM.

Edit 2: BTW If all VM's are shutdown and you delete all entries then quit Fusion and restart Fusion it will re-populate the list will all VM's in your Library. (At least in 1.1 it does.)

0 Kudos
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, now I feel dumb (perhaps "too" intuitive) Smiley Happy

I removed the entry from the Library and then re-added it, unfortunately it came up with the old name "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmx" again, even though I have the displayName entry set.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I removed the entry from the Library and then re-added it, unfortunately it came up with the old name "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmx" again, even though I have the displayName entry set.

Please attach the .vmx file of the VM you're having this issue with.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

displayName controls the title of the Fusion console window, but the Finder name controls what shows up in the Virtual Machine Library. Note if you change the name in the Finder, the Virtual Machine Library might lose track of the VM; you can get it back by dragging-and-dropping the renamed VM to the Virtual Machine Library.

binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, last night (after much playing around) I've come across somewhat of an answer:

Here is my example situation.

PROBLEM:

I created a VMware machine on my windows computer, and copied it over to my Mac. While on my Mac it has these attributes:

VMX displayName = "Debian 4 Basic Template"

Window Title when loaded = "Debian 4 Basic Template"

The name in the Virtual Machine Library, is the problem issue. As I add more linux machines, I cannot differentiate between them.

SOLUTION:

The only way to get a better name in the Virtual Machine Library was to rename the directory the virtual files reside in:

"/Build/Virtual-Machines/debian-4-basic" => "/Build/Virtual-Machines/debian-4-basic.vmwarevm"

Now when I import the virtual machine, the name in the Virtual Machine Library becomes "debian-4-basic.vmwarevm".

FRUSTRATION:

Since I deal with multiple machines, and appliances, I have to say that it is a bit frustrating that there is not built-in control to allow changing the name/reference to a virtual machine within the Library interface (since that is where you theoretically have to manage your machines).

WoodyZ: attached you will find both the VMX and a screenshot of the incorrect name within the library.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

As an alternative to renaming the directory to debian-4-basic.vmwarevm, you could also rename "Other Linux 2.6.x kernel.vmx" to "Debian 4 Basic Template.vmx"

0 Kudos
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you,

So the final solution is:

1) Rename the VMX file

2) Edit the VMX file and rename the field "displayName" to match.

(Here is hoping that this will be built-into future versions of Fusion) Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Now when I import the virtual machine, the name in the Virtual Machine Library becomes "debian-4-basic.vmwarevm".

You can also hidde the .vmwarevm extension. Crtl-click the "debian-4-basic.vmwarevm" folder and select Get Info then check the Hide extension check box.

0 Kudos
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sadly, that switch does not for those of us who have "Show all file extensions" set in our Advanced finder properties.

Thanks anyway Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
bloodnok
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks to etung & all contributors to this thread for the answer to a question that was bugging me, too. (& i second the hope this will become a fusion feature in the near future.)

0 Kudos
george-s
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! Still useful!!

0 Kudos
paugarube
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cloning a VM allow select a new path and (re)naming.
Contra: needs disk space (temporally while clone). Cloning is not moving.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No need to clone...

If you want to rename in the library ... click on the name and edit.

If you want to rename the bundle .. first unregister from the library by selecting the VM, right click, select "Delete" then choose "Keep File" instead of "move to the bin".

Rename the bundle in Finder or move it to the new location.

To register the VM in VMware Fusion again.

From the menu select "File Open"

Upon start if it asks.. did you copy or move --> select move.

edit: Please note that the original steps in this thread are from 2007 & 2008, my steps are what you should do in 2021

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos