VMware Communities
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Release Note correction: right-clicking the mouse

From the release notes:

>The MacBook Pro trackpad does not execute a right-click when you Control-click.

>The MacBook Pro trackpad must have the two-fingered click option enabled to execute a right-click. To enable the two-fingered click for a MacBook Pro trackpad, go to System Preferences.app > Keyboard & Mouse > Trackpad, and select the Trackpad Gestures option Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click.

From this note, "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click" appears to imply it is sufficient to just enable the trackpad gesture option and use two fingers to register a right mouse click. In fact the gesture option is called "Place two fingers on trackpad and click button for secondary click" It is necessary to both place two fingers on the trackpad and[/i] click the trackpad's button to finally register a right-click.

I would appreciate a fix to the "right mouse click" quandry soon. Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

You're correct, the text and behavior are different by default; however, if you select the "Clicking" checkbox under "Trackpad Gestures", the text does indeed change to "Tap trackpad using two fingers for secondary click".

Try that and let me know how it works for you.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I've found a working alternative for now. I have a Microsoft Intellimouse and it's right button works flawlessly in Fusion.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So does putting two fingers on the trackpad and clicking the trackpad button not generate a right click for you? This gesture works for me. Do you have the VMware Tools installed on this VM?

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander

Oh, yeah -- you WILL need Tools installed (or have a very recent X.org install, for Linux distributions) for the two-finger right click to work.

This is because without tools, we have to capture the mouse device at a very low level to send its input to the VM; the two-finger right click is done at a higher level in software.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

>So does putting two fingers on the trackpad and clicking the trackpad button not generate a right click for you? This gesture works for me.

Yes, it works for me but I'll never practically right-click like this. I'd rather use keyboard shortcuts or something else to work around it.

>Do you have the VMware Tools installed on this VM?

Yes

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you enable tap touchpad to click then tapping with 2 fingers gives a right click. At least under 10.4.8

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Yes this does work, but I prefer to use a two-button mouse.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I prefer a 2 button mouse as well. This is just good in a pinch or if I am sitting somewhere without my external mouse.

0 Kudos