VMware Communities
Boeman
Contributor
Contributor

Registering keystrokes for both OSX and VMware simultaneously?

Hello everyone,

I have Windows 7 installed as a virtual session within VMware Fusion 5.03.

I have a number of games which use their own internal voice communication protocols. For these, I have a keystroke assigned to enable push-to-talk functionality.

While this works without fail when VMware has the focus, the keystroke are not registered when using other applications in the host OS (snow leopard 10.6.8).

Is there any way to have the keystrokes registered in WMware Fusion from the guest OS?

For an example, I want to continue to use push-to-talk to communicate with my team mates for the game running in Windows 7 even though I'm working in say, Filemaker Pro in Snow Leopard.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KumarLande
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

For better understanding the issue and get the full picture of it, if I am not understood it wrong, you mean that

-The keystrokes works fine while the virtual machine is in focus.

-The keystrokes will not work when the virtual machine is not in focus. Am I right?

If so my understanding is that while the other application is in focus any command or any keystrokes are provided to that application and not other. Hence I believe the behavior on your system is normal.

Guys please correct me if my understanding to "Boeman" issue is wrong.

Cheers..

0 Kudos
avanish321
Expert
Expert

I believe this is not possible.

For example , when you are in single window mode.

you cannot switch to full screen mode by using the Control + command + F when Fusion is not in focus.

For the keys to work in any windows app, fusion needs to be in focus as far as i know.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos