VMware Communities
joeschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

Recording sound in a VM (Windows under Mac OS X)

Is it possible to record sound inside a VM?

I have the sound device working - playback is just fine. But when I record (using, e.g., Windows "Sound Recorder" (sndrec32.exe), all I get is silence.

I have the mixer/volume control set to "Stereo Mix", which usually works fine. This is all replicating stuff I do all the time under "real" Windows.

P.S. (Also) Accidentally posted previously to wrong forum.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
joeschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

Is it possible to record sound inside a VM?

I have the sound device working - playback is just

fine. But when I record (using, e.g., Windows "Sound

Recorder" (sndrec32.exe), all I get is silence.

I have the mixer/volume control set to "Stereo Mix",

which usually works fine. This is all replicating

stuff I do all the time under "real" Windows.

Update on this: It works :smileyalert: correctly on VMWare Server. I have an identical setup on an XP machine (running XP under XP) and recording works inside that VM. The setup is identical - same sound source (an online radio service), same recording software, same "Creative Sound Blaster PCI" sound device, same version of XP, same settings in the "Volume Control" applet. Everything is identical except that one is running on a PC running XP and VMWare Server, and the other is running on a Mac running VMWare Fusion. It works on the PC, and not on the Mac.

0 Kudos
theirongiant
Contributor
Contributor

What is your source? Line / Microphone, or are you just trying to record the system sounds?

If you're doing system sounds out of the VM, just download Audio Hijack for Macintosh.

http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

Set it to record from the VMWare application. You may need to restart VMWare after doing so.

0 Kudos
joeschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

What is your source? Line / Microphone, or are you

just trying to record the system sounds?

It is coming from another application running on the PC (VM). I set the source to "Stereo Mix".

If you're doing system sounds out of the VM, just

download Audio Hijack for Macintosh.

http://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

Set it to record from the VMWare application. You

may need to restart VMWare after doing so.

That's a possibility. But I really like the recording software (PC-based) that I use; I'd prefer to stick with it. This looks like a bug (in the Mac/Fusion product) - one that the developers would be interested in fixing.

0 Kudos
Dee_Dee_Warren
Contributor
Contributor

This seems related to the Paltalk thread I posted before. When I set my settings to stereo mixer it doesn't come through the VM. It really is a problem for me and no one answered on my other thread except to say that they didn't know what I was talking about.

This is the one thing that will cause me to switch to Parallels if Parallels doesn't have the same problem. I don't know yet cause I am waiting for a friend to come online who has Parallels that I can ask.

Message was edited by:

Dee Dee Warren

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

joe, just to double check, have you tried moving the non-working VM from the Mac to the PC to make sure it's really the same, not just have two with the same settings? I don't have anything to suggest, but it'll help the devs narrow down what might be going wrong.

0 Kudos
joeschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

joe, just to double check, have you tried moving the

non-working VM from the Mac to the PC to make sure

it's really the same, not just have two with the same

settings? I don't have anything to suggest, but it'll

help the devs narrow down what might be going wrong.

This is a good idea. I will test it tomorrow and let you know.

It occurs to me, though, that it would be even more useful to take the working VM from the PC, and run it under Fusion. If that breaks (fails to record), that's pretty good evidence that there is something broken on the Mac platform vs. the PC platform.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, that'd be a good test too. Thanks!

0 Kudos
joeschmoe
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, that'd be a good test too. Thanks!

Alas, I took the working VM (XP under XP with VMWare Server), and brought it up under Fusion; but recording now doesn't work (exact same test scenario). So, it does seem to be related to (specific to) Fusion.

0 Kudos
TheAngryPenguin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can verify that selecting Stereo Mix does not map the sound as expected. In fact, all of the selectable recording sources seem to map to the built-in mic just to the left of my MacBook's iSight.

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread, but I have the very same problem as described here on my current system... Has anyone come up with a solution?

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

(( "Bounce" ))

0 Kudos
lensv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone with some knowledge here?

0 Kudos