VMware Communities
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor

Re-activating windows

The Fusion instructions say not to reactivate Windows until after you have installed VMWare Tools and to ignore the re-activation message but if I do, Windows logs me back off. Should I go ahead and reactivate now? Also, my version of Windows may locked to my existing PC. Is that going to create a problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RiteshK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will need to reactivate windows and since you have already used that windows you may encounter issue with exceeded activation for windows.

I will suggest you to contact microsoft if you encounter any issue with activation.

0 Kudos
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor

Microsoft will not activate it since it is OEM and can only be used on the machine it came with. Since I am this far into the installation, how do I now install a new copy of windows?

0 Kudos
RiteshK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No need to install a new copy of windows you can purchase a license key and activate your installed windows.

0 Kudos
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor

Where do you purchase only a license key?

0 Kudos
RiteshK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you tried to call microsoft as they will be able to help you with this issue?

you can also have a look a below kb article:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1116&slice...

0 Kudos
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't get any help from Microsoft but was able to find a key to make it work. Thank you for your help today.

0 Kudos
forest09
Contributor
Contributor

Where in the process do you enter the activation key? Thanks!

0 Kudos
drwilke
Contributor
Contributor

When you first start Windows after creating the Virtual machine, I was required to enter an activation code. Microsoft wouldn't give me one but it finally dawned on me that I had the software code ont he bottom of my old laptop and was able to activate the software with that.

0 Kudos
forest09
Contributor
Contributor

My story is a little more complicated. I have previously bought a

vista business machine from sony and downgraded to xp. The code at

the bottom of the machine is a vista business product code.

During the activation process, I was asked to activate by Internet or

telephone. I had to choose telephone because vmware tools were not

setup yet. Once telephone button was clicked and the country is

selected, the US toll free number was shown and a string of numbers

appeared.

I tried calling the Microsoft number, but it didn't work. The auto

response said that my product key was invalid. I clicked on "Change

Product Key" andI called sonystyle, the store that downgraded the

vista pro, they said they don't have the product code. They asked me

to call sony support. Sony support then asked me to call sonystyle

store. At this point, I am willing to buy another copy of the windows

xp pro just to get the product code, but I don't know if it wlll work.

Comments?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Forrest09, the short answer is you need to buy another copy of Windows.

Your issue is because your product key is an OEM key. (Original Equipment Manufacturer.) In your case, its an OEM key branded to work only with Sony hardware. In a virtual machine, the guest OS does not "see" the actual physical hardware. It sees the virtual hardware, the one "manufactured" by VMWare. Your product key will only work if it is running directly on the Sony hardware, which is why Sony couldn't help you. (IOW, you're not running on Sony hardware.)

Additionally, retail version of Windows will give you a grace period for reactivation. Branded OEM version often do not, which is why you're not seeing the desktop when you logon.

When you get your new copy of Windows, you will generally be installing a clean copy of Windows, rather than reusing the Sony installed version of Windows. The new product key will not work for a Sony OEM installation. Usually a clean install is better as sometimes the Sony specific drivers can cause your virtual machine to be unstable. If you must reuse the Sony installed copy of Windows, then you need to boot with the CD from the new copy of Windows and do a "repair install." (Let the installer detect your existing copy of Windows and upgrade over it.) That also means that you should get a similar version of Windows or one that it could be upgraded to. (e.g.: Sony OEM is XP-home, so you can get XP-Home or XP-Pro.)

0 Kudos
forest09
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I suspect as much. I really want to keep my installed

version... because it will save me time from re-installing all the

applications and all the setup - especially outlook. Apps like

QuickBooks, I couldn't buy another 2008 version, as they don't sell

them! That is the main reason I want to keep the existing OS setup.

I read somewhere that I have to re-activate MS Office as well. That

is fine. I just want to make sure that everything could work.

Will update once I try with a new copy of Windows... BTW, if I install

a Windows 7, will it keep all the applications or a reinstall. That

would be something to consider.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...Apps like QuickBooks, I couldn't buy another 2008 version, as they don't sell them!

And is there's a reason you can't buy and use the current Quickbooks 2009? Your existing QB2008 files will load and will convert to QB2009.

I read somewhere that I have to re-activate MS Office as well. That is fine. I just want to make sure that everything could work.

MSOffice 2007 will detect the new hardware and will require reactivation. Older versions of MSOffice do not require reactivation.

...BTW, if I install a Windows 7, will it keep all the applications or a reinstall....

Per MS, reinstall. While you can legally upgrade XP to Windows 7, at the moment, MS says you'll have to do a clean install.

0 Kudos
forest09
Contributor
Contributor

QB is a pain. There are multiple copies of QB running in our work

environment, if you upgrade 1, then all of them need to be upgraded.

Otherwise, the new upgraded QB won't be able to be read by the older

version.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...There are multiple copies of QB running in our work environment...

Since this infers that it was not a copy of Quickbooks that was preinstalled on the Sony, where are the Quickbooks installer disks that you used to install these multiple copies?

0 Kudos