VMware Communities
stigk53
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Cannot install Net Framework 3.5 - Fusion player 13 - Windows 11

If I have asked the wrong question in the wrong topic, please direct me to the correct topic.
i have Mac M1 and intend to run Windows 11 in Mac M1 and it works with VM Fusion but cannot install Net Framework which is required to install a software in Windows.
Hope that clarifies what my question is about.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So that will need to be the ARM version of Windows 11 as you have an M1 processor.

Do Microsoft have .NET Framework 3.5 for the ARM version of Windows 11?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What you're asking is more of a Microsoft question about installing software on Windows 11 ARM and looks to have nothing to do with Fusion.

If you go to Settings > Apps > Optional Features > More Windows Features

The "Turn Windows features on or off" control panel will open and you will see whether .NET Framework 3.5 is installed. On my VM for Windows 11 ARM 22H2 (Retail Channel build 22621.9963) it was not. By checking the box Windows offered to install it using a download from Windows Update.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I've had mixed results trying to get .net support installed.  Some apps need the Intel version to run, but the automatic system installs the arm version.  I was able to manually download the offline installer from the KB and get it to work, but a really old version of .net failed with a 'requires an x86 architecture' message.

0 Kudos
carlfino
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same issue here Stigk53...  Did you ever find a solution?

0 Kudos
carlfino
Contributor
Contributor

ColoradoMarmot were you able to get Net Framework 3.5 working on your machine?  Arm version?  I'm struggling here trying to get that version of Net Framework working on my M1 (Windows 11).  Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No, the installer I have  fails with that x86 architecture message.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@carlfino what build of Windows 11 ARM are you running? I've seen reports of older Windows Insider Preview builds having issues that were fixed in more recent builds. 

The recommended way of installing .NET 3.5 on Windows 11 is through Windows itself ( see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/install/dotnet-35-windows ).The offline installers for .NET 3.5 are for Windows versions earlier than Windows 10. I suspect that they aren't aware of being run on Windows 11 ARM.

If you've done this installation and your program still fails to recognize that .NET 3.5 is installed, my suspicion is there's something else up with x64 software and .NET 3.5 when running on Windows 11 ARM that's not specific to Fusion. You might want to see if you can find an answer on either a Microsoft forum or a forum for the software that is exhibiting the issue.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
carlfino
Contributor
Contributor

@Technogeezer I am using OS Build 22598.1 of Windows 11 Pro.  And yes I've attempted to install .NET 3.5 from within Windows (Windows Features control panel) and also via the offline installer.  Both methods result with the same error code (0x800F0950) during the download.  Heck, even the NET Framework Repair Tool can't get it working.  Interestingly, .NET 4.8 looks to be running fine.  

I also agree that this is not a Fusion issue, but rather something inherent to the ARM version of Windows.  I figured someone here may have had the same problem and found the golden key, but that seems not to have been the case.  

Carl...

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I don’t remember the actual version I tried…or even if I have that vom anymore,  I’ll dig and see if I can figure it out.  In theory any version of the framework should run under the emulation layer, it’s just the installer that doesn’t work.  Unless…have you tried even installing 3.5 on Intel windows 11?  I don’t have access to try.

if it works there, you might be able to brute force copy the installed files and registry entries over to the other instance.  If it doesn’t work on win11 Intel, then we’re probably out of luck.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Ohhhhh, light bulb.

the emulation layer on works with 64 bit software.  So if those old frameworks are 32 bit, it won’t work.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I would try to reproduce on the latest retail build of Windows 11 ARM 22H2 - 22621.1265. See if the .NET Framework 3.5 can be installed by adding it as a feature. Then see if things change. An ISO needed to install the latest retail build can be easily generated from uupdump.net on your current Windows 11 VM.

I'm suspect of that 22598.1 build. That is a beta channel release and is almost a year old. There's a whole new series of beta channel releases (the latest ones are 22621.1325 and 22623.1325 both dated 2-16-2023). I've found beta channel releases are not easy to keep updated on Apple Silicon because they can't be joined to the Windows Insider Program. Dev releases are even worse.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
carlfino
Contributor
Contributor

I will do that!  Is there an brief instruction on how to generate the ISO from uupdump?  I've not done that yet.

Thanks...

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

See the Unofficial Fusion 13 for Apple Silicon Companion Guide. There's a section in there will lead you through the process.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
carlfino
Contributor
Contributor

Yes that did it!  Once I updated to the latest Windows 11 build the .NET Framework 3.5 installed just fine.  Thanks very much!

Now onto another problem.  I will start a new thread for that...

0 Kudos