VMware Communities
etchak
Contributor
Contributor

RC1 and Logitech keyboard & Mouse

After starting Fusion the logitechs extra functions are no longer working.

this problem was also in the previous versions.

There is a workaround for this problem.

Just start the Logitech Control Center

Control center will show that there are no logitech devices

Close it and everything is working again.

Don't know if this is a logitech or Fusion problem...:S

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Can you please open up a service request and detail the issue with exact steps to reproduce?

http://www.vmware.com/r/support_requests.html

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Yes I can confirm this is still an issue. When you run Fusion, the Logitech mouse (MX600) buttons revert to a default state; e.g. using the side buttons for forwards/backwards navigation in browsers reverts to Expose behavior which a Mighty Mouse would have mapped to the side buttons.

When Fusion is closed you can then use the Control panel trick to kick the mouse back to its correct behavior.

SR # 190737621

0 Kudos
etchak
Contributor
Contributor

The trick is also working when Fusion is running.

Also the remapped keys on my keyboard are not working

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Yes I have confirmed what you have said. I did file an SR.

0 Kudos
TheLoneVM
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ok, I just installed an MX500 with the 2.1.4 Logitech Control Center software. The default action for the "Thumb Back Button" is a keypress Apple-Right-Arrow. I changed that to a "Click" instead. I fired up a Windows XP VM in Fusion, and the "Thumb Back Button" behaves as a normal click, and does not activate Expose...

Can you verify that the MX600 is a supported mouse under OS X? I did not see that model listed on the Logitech Download page (closest is the MX610).

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well - I have the same problem with the Logitech S-530 keyboard and mouse. And yes if you start the Logitech Control Center and close it, everything works again - once you leave RC1.

However, with RC1 my problem went further. In the past I was able to type in the Launcher window - say "Microsoft Office" (without the quotes) - to show just Office products. With RC1 and my Logitech S-530 keyboard - that can no longer be done. I can not type anything at all in the window - no key strokes register at all. Nor was I able to type anything into the IE or Safari browsers windows. I can type normally when I use Word 2007 or other programs - but not the browser or the Launcher.

While in the past I lost use of the extra features on the S-530 while in Fusion, I was always able to at least use the keyboard and mouse. With RC1 - I was forced to start using my Apple Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. Both work without flaw.

As to a comparison with Parallels - Parallels works just fine with the S-530 keyboard and mouse and all the extra functions work just fine - no problems what-so-ever. And I do not have to go back into the Logitech Control Center.

The aforementioned comparison to Parallels is not a deal breaker for me because Fusion just manages everything else so much better. However, I hope this issue can be fixed as I enjoy the S-530 keyboard and extra functions.

PLEASE NOTE: I followed all the Fusion PDF instructions while installing RC1. I even rebooted my iMac - but the problem remained.

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Yep found that as well last night. Couldn't type in Firefox or Rapidweaver, but OK in TextWrangler. Something strange going on here.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just saw they released version 2.2.2 of their software, can those of you seeing the problem download it and see if it still occurs? We haven't talked to them, but I am curious if they may have fixed it in the general bug fixes section.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14421

Thanks,

Pat

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pat - this is a partial reply to your post. I did download, install and run Logitech's Control Center version 2.2.2. I have not yet tested it with my S-530 Logitech keyboard and mouse - but - I did test it with my Logitech Revolution Mouse. At least for me, I can switch between RC1 and OS X using my buttons and the scroll wheel at full speed. Everything seems to work, even when using Unity.

I did get an annoying pop-up window from Logitech informing me my cap lock keys were not active. Not certain about this message as I was using Apple's Bluetooth keyboard. The window pop-up happened 3 or 4 times, but has since quit.

I will continue to test the Revolution Mouse for a day or so, before trying the S-530 keyboard and mouse.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for the update, I look forward to your ongoing results.

Pat

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Pat - regarding the Logitech Revolution. My earlier comment regarding the pop-up window that states "Logitech Control Center - CapsLock Off" message re-appears only in RC1 after I restart it. It does not appear in OS X. The message pops up when ever the mouse is moved over say an application, to select suspend, unity, etc. After 2/3 seconds the message will disappear.

Again - all the buttons and scroll wheel work without flaw.

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Yes it works for me. Only minor annoyance is the LCC Caps Lock status popup appears moving between guest and host. I assume that is because VMware toggles the state if needed, and the driver is picking it up. No big deal, and will see if Logitech have a way to disable the modifier key notifications.

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tested the S-530 keyboard while continuing to use the Revolution mouse - everything works. All the extra buttons work when I switch back to OS X and I do not have to go to Systems Preferences to re-click on the Logitech Control Panel.

The pop-up window is still present - the pic changes from a keyboard to a mouse depending on what I am using while in RC1. Other than that - it looks like Logitech may have finally done something right.

Expect/hope VMware can work on that pop-up?

0 Kudos
Rabbitroo
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same thing. I removed LCC for now and replaced it with Steermouse. I couldn't find a hidden control to turn off key notifications in LCC.

-K

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

The popup is Logitech's and really need them to provide an option to disable it.

0 Kudos
synapco
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DaveP - thought that might be the case - why it occurs only in Windows and not OS X at least tells me there should be a way to turn it off, since it does not show up in OS X.

0 Kudos
suhr
Contributor
Contributor

I install my mouse drivers Logitech Setpoint into the Windows Pro XP SP2 I see the setpoint control panel but there is no option to select the mouse to program buttons, this is very important to me. I have tried 2 different Wireless Logitech mice with the same results, the Logitech panel is there but I cant see the mouse to change the settings.

Any ideas???? reboot, nothing seems to work, the mouse isn't visible but works

Thanks

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The guest only sees an emulated generic PS/2 three button wheel mouse, not the actual hardware, so you can't configure the Logitech software to use the extra buttons.

0 Kudos