VMware Communities
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Questions on Unity

After getting the icons I needed in the dock, Unity has been working pretty well for me. I do have a couple of questions:

1. How can you display the VM in single window mode after you are in Unity mode? So far I've been starting an app and then using cmd-ctrl-S.

2. When I exit an app I can't display it again unless I select quit in the dock. For example, click on icon for Windows Explorer, window opens. Click on red X or select close and window closes. Icon in doc shows small triangle indicating app is still running, but if I click on the icon nothing seems to happen. If I right-click the icon and select quit the small triangle goes away, and the next time I click on the icon the program reopens.

How is this supposed to work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. How can you display the VM in single window mode

after you are in Unity mode? So far I've been

starting an app and then using cmd-ctrl-S.

Yes, I think that's how it's supposed to work. Do you have a different preference?

2. When I exit an app I can't display it again unless

I select quit in the dock. For example, click on

icon for Windows Explorer, window opens. Click on

red X or select close and window closes. Icon in doc

shows small triangle indicating app is still running,

but if I click on the icon nothing seems to happen.

If I right-click the icon and select quit the small

triangle goes away, and the next time I click on the

icon the program reopens.

I think that's expected at this time. This is because all the logic isn't quite hooked up; when you close the guest window it doesn't notify OS X that the program finished (so the Docker keeps running, and clicking on the icon doesn't reopen it because OS X thinks it's still running). The developers are aware that it's not seamless yet.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. How can you display the VM in single window mode

after you are in Unity mode? So far I've been

starting an app and then using cmd-ctrl-S.

Yes, I think that's how it's supposed to work. Do you have a different preference?

2. When I exit an app I can't display it again unless

I select quit in the dock. For example, click on

icon for Windows Explorer, window opens. Click on

red X or select close and window closes. Icon in doc

shows small triangle indicating app is still running,

but if I click on the icon nothing seems to happen.

If I right-click the icon and select quit the small

triangle goes away, and the next time I click on the

icon the program reopens.

I think that's expected at this time. This is because all the logic isn't quite hooked up; when you close the guest window it doesn't notify OS X that the program finished (so the Docker keeps running, and clicking on the icon doesn't reopen it because OS X thinks it's still running). The developers are aware that it's not seamless yet.

0 Kudos
Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mostly I wanted to see if I was missing something obvious. Is there any way to display something in the Dock when a guest is running in Unity mode?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, but the developers are aware that the lack of an obvious way to select a Unity VM with no open windows is confusing.

Rzn8tor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For now I've taken to minimizing the Launch Applications window into the dock, so I can use that to select the VM.

0 Kudos