VMware Communities
itry2hide
Contributor
Contributor

Questions: Best Practices - complete back up and restore of XP virtual machine.

I don't want to use Time Machine to back up my virtual XP drive. What are best practices to completely back up and restore a virtual XP installation?

I was planning on using the ASR feature built into backup on XP. Anyone have luck with this?

FYI, I understand how to create floppy images, etc. I've tested my floppy image, and have booted from an MS dos startup floppy. Sorry if this article already exists somewhere in the forums. I've checked out a couple of threads, but they all seem to deal to a particular situation.

How would I test the process to make sure it works?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since a normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine is nothing more then a set of Files in a Folder that show as a Bundle Package the easiest way to backup a Virtual Machine is to copy the Virtual Machine Bundle Package to an external location (e.g NAS or External Drive or Network Share on another Computer.) If you want to save space you can compress it. Note that this should be done with the Virtual Machine properly shutdown, not suspended, from within the Guest OS (e.g. Windows - Start > Turn Off Computer > Turn Off) and Fusion closed.

0 Kudos