Hi fellow Fusion users.
I own Fusion 3 . . . now am contemplating to get Fusion 4.1. I tried it already and its pretty cool with Lion. However the question is SHOULD I PURCHASE NOW FUSION 4.1 OR WAIT FOR MOUNTIAN LION AND WIN 8?
THANKS. Hope to hear from you guys.
As far as VMware products for the Mac, I personally will use VMware Fusion 3.x until I have no other choice as I do not like VMware Fusion 4. I also still use Mac OS X Snow Leopard on my primary system however I do have Mac OS X Lion and VMware Fusion 4 running on a test system. There are features about both that I do like however there are more features that I don't like and why I just run them on a test system. For me, at the end of the day, it's about productivity and reliability and so I find I do better with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and VMware Fusion 3 so I'm sticking with what works best for my purposes.
As to whether or not one should purchase now or wait that really is something one needs to decide for one's self.
For me, it is a question of budget and simple home user economics. I don't know is a Fusion 5 will come out to be compatible for Mountain Lion and Windows 8 which from what I heard is a rather radical change.
Thanks for replying
rockrus wrote: I don't know is a Fusion 5 will come out to be compatible for Mountain Lion and Windows 8 which from what I heard is a rather radical change.
It took VMware 687 days or 1 year, 10 months, and 18 days to go from VMware Fusion 3.0 to VMware Fusion 4.0 and it's only been 174 days or 5 months and 21 days since VMware Fusion 4.0 was released so don't expect to see VMware Fusion 5 any time soon and certainly not before the next release of Mac OS X or Microsoft Windows. Additionally based on past performance don't expect to see a fully compatible version of VMware Fusion 4.x for either of these OSes until some time after they've been released!
If Fusion 3 is working for you, you want to save money, and don't mind possibly waiting a while, I see no compelling argument to get Fusion 4. The biggest unknown is how long it will be between when Mountain Lion/Windows 8 is released and when Fusion will support it, but almost certainly nobody will actually be able to answer that. I would definitely expect some lag time (the past is no guarantee of future results, but you might consider prior releases of Fusion).
Personally, I like Fusion 4 (OS X guests are important to me), the price isn't much for the functionality, and hey, shiny new things, so if I was considering the question, I wouldn't wait.
I agree. Fusion 3 is fine for general purpose and I wouldn't expect to have a new version of Fusion for quite sometime since it's still relatively new and I also doubt that it will bring significant changes aside of course for new features. But for day-to-day use, I think Fusion 3 would suffice.