VMware Communities
srivaths
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Product key?

After about a year, I tried to add another virtual machine on my iMac. I am stuck at the point where it asks me for a product key. This doesn't seem to be the same as the serial number that I got from the VMWare Fusion > Licensing menu.

What is being expected here? Is it available online somewhere on my installation?

Sri

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, Serial Numbers and Product Keys typically are not the same type of information. The Fusion Application use a Serial Number when it's being installed however when you are installing an OS with Fusion if you're being asked for a Product Key this has nothing to do with Fusion per se as Fusion doesn't use nor need a Product Key however as an example the Windows OS uses a Product Key and this is the responsibility of the User (you) to provide a valid Product Key when installing Windows and from that respect has nothing to do with Fusion. The Product Key for Windows should be on the case/sleeve it came in or if it's from a MSDN Subscription then login to your MSDN Account and retrieve your Product Key

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, Serial Numbers and Product Keys typically are not the same type of information. The Fusion Application use a Serial Number when it's being installed however when you are installing an OS with Fusion if you're being asked for a Product Key this has nothing to do with Fusion per se as Fusion doesn't use nor need a Product Key however as an example the Windows OS uses a Product Key and this is the responsibility of the User (you) to provide a valid Product Key when installing Windows and from that respect has nothing to do with Fusion. The Product Key for Windows should be on the case/sleeve it came in or if it's from a MSDN Subscription then login to your MSDN Account and retrieve your Product Key

0 Kudos
srivaths
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well, d'uh... :smileysilly:

Thanks.

Sri

0 Kudos