VMware Communities
tlog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Processor Utilization

Hi, I'm looking for some feedback from others with a similar setup to myself, to judge whether I am getting the performance that I should be.

I am running a black Macbook (original, Core Duo) 2Ghz, 2Gb RAM

I have no other apps running in OSX

I am using Beta 4 of Fusion

My VM is a Win XP SP2 32bit

The VM is set to single processor.

The VM is set to use 1Gb of the available 2Gb.

The VM is using a SCSI disk (cloned from the original IDE disk)

With no apps (discounting a couple of small services) running in the VM, following bootup, Activity Monitor is OS X is showing around 25% CPU utilization.

This sounds high compared to what I have read elsewhere on the forum...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
92 Replies
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, FreeBSD.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No, FreeBSD.

...and which version(s)?

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

6.2-RELEASE with Fusion Beta 4.1 (Tools are installed also)

0 Kudos
VTMac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You must be using a different version of Parallels is you're not seeing AT LEAST 25% CPU utilization with USB enabled. Both version 2.5 and 3.0 spike CPU utilization with USB enabled - no devices attached. Most users on their support forum report usage between 40-50%. i've used every public build of Parallels and every build with USB support has had this issue.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fresh install of 6.2-RELEASE with tools is showing about 13% for me (Mac Pro 2.66 GHz). While this is a little higher than some other guests, it just could be the way FreeBSD works. No idea what's going on in your case; file a bug.

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't know what you're running but I haven't seen it use more than about 5% on FreeBSD, Solaris, and Windows XP. 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo T7700, 2GB Ram

0 Kudos
slewsys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another data point: FreeBSD 6.2/Xorg 6.9 with VMWare Tools and FreeBSD 7.x + Xorg 7.2 without VMWare Tools (not supported yet) both use at least 25% of the CPU on my system, whereas Solaris 10 and Ubuntu Linux both use about 5%.

The FreeBSD system has no attached USB devices and even removing all references to IDE in the .vmx (the CD-ROM is on IDE) does not affect FreeBSD's CPU usage.

iMac Core 2 Duo/7600 GT, 2GB (512MB allocated to FreeBSD) and 10GB not pre-allocated.

sparcdr: I would be interested in seeing your FreeBSD .vmx file, or even the whole FreeBSD VM if possible. Thanks.

\[EDIT: The FreeBSD VM's are amd 64-bit]

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Regarding FreeBSD:

Fresh install of 6.2-RELEASE i386 on Fusion beta 4.1 (49528)

Using a 15.4" MacBook Pro Core 2 T7700 (Santa Rosa) with 2GB Ram

VM is configured with 384MB ram, with USB and Sound disabled

Without VMware Tools -

http://www.sparcdr.com/images/062807/freebsd-062807-01.png

With VMware Tools -

http://www.sparcdr.com/images/062807/freebsd-062807-02.png

VMX File -

http://www.sparcdr.com/downloads/unix/freebsd/vmware/FreeBSD.vmx.zip

In response to the poster with the Mac Pro. Think about it, 13% is rounded 1/2 of 25%, which is what us 2.16-2.4GHz dual core people get. You have four cores, so obviously it's the same on your machine as ours cpu % wise. It's a bug.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In response to the poster with the Mac Pro. Think

about it, 13% is rounded 1/2 of 25%, which is what us

2.16-2.4GHz dual core people get. You have four

cores, so obviously it's the same on your machine as

ours cpu % wise.

Not true - Activity Monitor reports CPU as per core; my Mac Pro can go up to 400%. While it is a little higher than direct % comparision suggests, it's 13% of 2.66 GHz vs 25% of 2.16-2.4 GHz. It might indeed be a bug as you suggest, but my datapoint is not the same as yours.

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Okay, makes sense, I've seen mine at 113% before with VMware or Parallels, not much higher though. FreeBSD does not do this with workstation or under Parallels Desktop, so I'll submit it.

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Is it the exact same .vmx file that you're running in Workstation, or are they different?

0 Kudos
GreenfieldIT
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was wondering if you could shed some light on how you undeleted VMDK files?

Were you running VMware under windows? I am running VMWARE ESX 3.0.1 and I have deleted a VMDK file that I would like to retrieve. Do you know how to do it?

0 Kudos
sparcdr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Look the same to me, and I use the VM under Windows from a USB disk with Workstation 6.

0 Kudos