VMware Communities
gabyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems with default vmnet network settings

We are experiencing a bizarre behaviour where we cannot reach hosts on our network in the IP range *.*.14.*. This seems to affect only our developers with a Mac (OS X 10.6.8) with VMWare Fusion installed. With VMware installed using .14  when we try to connect to anything on .14 network, the mac thinks it's the VMware network and doesn't leave the computer.

I've tried changing the default in the vmnet settings following the instructions given in a post in this forum (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1251292) but I still cannot reach any hosts in the 14.* network.

Have I missed something?

Thanx

gaby

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

We are experiencing a bizarre behaviour where we cannot reach hosts on our network in the IP range *.*.14.*. This seems to affect only our developers with a Mac (OS X 10.6.8) with VMWare Fusion installed. With VMware installed using .14  when we try to connect to anything on .14 network, the mac thinks it's the VMware network and doesn't leave the computer.

Frankly I hate it when uses post things like "our network in the IP range *.*.14.*." because it make it more difficult to follow what's trying to be said!

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

I've tried changing the default in the vmnet settings following the instructions given in a post in this forum (http://communities.vmware.com/message/1251292) but I still cannot reach any hosts in the 14.* network.

Have I missed something?

Yes, what you missed it that thread it over 3 year old and in no longer completely applicable if using VMware Fusion 3.x.

Here are the basic commands/files and you do need to cd into the VMware Fusion directory as something changed in the 3.x line where it didn't work right if you didn't.  If you want to change the IP Address of the VMnets or modify or add additional VMnets then make the changes to the networking file first and only modify the dhcpd.conf files if you need to change additional defaults.

cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion"
sudo ./boot.sh --stop
sudo nano networking
sudo nano ./vmnet1/dhcpd.conf
sudo nano ./vmnet8/dhcpd.conf
sudo nano ./vmnet8/nat.conf
sudo ./boot.sh --start

Also have a look at the following thread if you want to add some custom VMnets: Re: Creating two (or more) Host-Only networks totally isolated

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Frankly I hate it when uses post things like "our network in the IP range *.*.14.*." because it make it more difficult to follow what's trying to be said!

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Have I missed something?

Yes, what you missed it that thread it over 3 year old and in no longer completely applicable if using VMware Fusion 3.x.

Here are the basic commands/files and you do need to cd into the VMware Fusion directory as something changed in the 3.x line where it didn't work right if you didn't.  If you want to change the IP Address of the VMnets or modify or add additional VMnets then make the changes to the networking file first and only modify the dhcpd.conf files if you need to change additional defaults.

cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion"
sudo ./boot.sh --stop
sudo nano networking
sudo nano ./vmnet1/dhcpd.conf
sudo nano ./vmnet8/dhcpd.conf
sudo nano ./vmnet8/nat.conf
sudo ./boot.sh --start

Also have a look at the following thread if you want to add some custom VMnets: Re: Creating two (or more) Host-Only networks totally isolated

0 Kudos
gabyt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, that worked just fine thank you. All this would be much easier if there was a UI to do this, like there is on the windoze version.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All this would be much easier if there was a UI to do this, like there is on the windoze version.

Yes! it would, and we've been asking for a Virtual Network Editor in VMware Fusion for over four years now and it may have well fallen on deaf ears since it still doesn't exist.  What really irks me is it is included in the free VMware Player, albeit it no longer installed by default in the 3.x line it was in 2.x, however it is available in the installer package and can be manually installed.  So pay $80 and and get less then you can for free with VMware Player in the networking area.  Now even though the Virtual Network Editor exists for VMware Player one still has to manually edit the .vmx configuration file to use the custom VMnets.  What I want to see in VMware Fusion is all the capabilities of the Virtual Network Editor in VMware Workstation along with the ability to apply the custom VMnets via the Virtual Machine's Settings under Network Adapter just like it can be done with VMware Workstation.

There were many of us that from the beginning said we'd be willing to pay more for a Professional version of VMware Fusion that was more feature rich then the Consumer version but nothing has come of that as well.

Granted none of VMware Fusion competitors offer the full Virtual Network Editor, etc. however for years now at least one could easily change the IP Address Subnet via the GUI, so in that respect the competitors have offered more then VMware in this particular area.

0 Kudos