VMware Communities
Kitchymitchy
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with Horizontal Mouse Scrolling

Hi,

Finger-driven Horizontal Mouse Scrolling (HMS) is a well implemented feature on most Mac apps and works simply by dragging the finger right or left on the Apple mouse without any key combination.

This feature is particularly useful when working on large spreadsheets or in general in any app which requires scanning data imbedded in large windows (eg: audio/video/photo apps etc).

Even on physical PCs, Microsoft badly implemented finger-driven HMS in Windows and in its own apps (it is NOT a system-wide feature). For instance, HMS with the Command+scrolling wheel of the mouse works in MS Edge but not in Wordpad nor even in Excel (!!!) even though it works in some third party apps like LibreOffice. And indeed, as expected, HMS with the Apple mouse (finger dragging) works fine in MS Edge and LibreOffice within Fusion.

As far as HMS is concerned, Fusion does not do a better (nor worse) job than Microsoft.

However, it is worth noting that HMS with the Apple mouse works finely in Parallels (as it would in Mac apps), including in apps that did not support HMS natively ! (eg on our scientific program Clampfit). This makes Parallels the solution of choice for scientists dealing with large spreadsheets (most of them I guess) and in general for users for whom Apple mouse-driven HMS is a key productivity feature.

I strongly hope VMware will address this important issue in the forthcoming update of Fusion

JC

NB: MS actually enables HMS in many apps but it is MOUSE (whole hand)-driven, not FINGER-driven, making it much less ergonomic: you have to press the Command key and use the mouse to move horizontally into the window. This is less accurate and requires more energy (mainly from the wrist) than simple finger dragging or wheel scrolling. I do not understand why MS did not implement the [key+wheelscrolling] as a system-wide solution for HMS in Windows.

0 Kudos
0 Replies