VMware Communities
Nekekami
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with Fusion and Solaris 10 on Mac OS 10.5 Leopard

Hi,

I try to install Solaris 10 (not OpenSolaris) into a Solaris 10 - 64 Bit type VM but I can't get the system up and running.

First problem is that the X Window Session does not work to configure the installation (in VM Workstation 6 on a WindowsXP PC this works fine).

Second problem is that the installation process consumes more than 2,5h (again the WinXP installation was far faster).

Third and most severe problem is that once all files are copied from the DVD the VM system is rebooted an Solaris tries to write the bootloader.

This action fails and the whole installation goes down the drain as the system can't be used any longer - Solaris complains about a corrupt MBR.

I tried this twice and the errors are consistent.

So I'd like to know:

Is there any special setting required for a Solaris installation?

Is there a general issue with Solaris 10 installation in VMWare Fusion?

Has anybody else succeeded in installing Solaris 10 into a Fusion VM?

Thanks for any hint in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Issues vary from specific Solaris update-to-update. Is this the latest, Solaris 10 u4 08/07 or an older version? Another user recently installed Solaris (although was challenged to assemble the DVD image), but got it working. I personally have installed Solaris 10 u3 with no problems.

Not wanting to avoid "too obvious" things, are you going through the New Machine Wizard and choosing Sun Solaris - Solaris 10 64-bit?

0 Kudos
Nekekami
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Solaris 10 V. 08/07 (latest release as far as I know) and yes I am using the 64 Bit Solaris VM.

I'll also try your blog article and don't worry - German will be my least problem. ;-D

EDIT: I've downloaded Fusion 1.1 RC1 and I am currently trying another installation - but so far everything is still very slow. Right now 450MB took more than 20 minutes - that can't be right?!

2nd EDIT: I've stopped that installation attempt as there wasn't really any progress during the installation. Now I've started the installtion of OpenSUSE 10.3 - also in a 64 Bit VM. So far I've not had any problems mentioned above with Solaris 10. The installation progress is almost as fast as on a physical machine and the X Window system works fine as well. That makes me think there is something wrong with the Solaris support of Fusion as the installation was successful with the same media on the WinXP VMWare Workstation. That's odd.

0 Kudos