VMware Communities
dbhart
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with FlexLM clients running on VMware Fusion

I am having problems getting VMware fusion to allow FlexLM _clients_ to communicate properly with their appropriate server. Specifically, a given program only runs on windows. I installed VMware Fusion 3.1 with a Windows 7 Enterprise guest on my MacBook. When I get to the configuration for the license manager, it spins its wheels, and tells me that my license client cannot connect to my license server on machine XY. I know that this is not the following:

1) This is not the client software. I have this working on a windows 7 machine in the same office (that I'm hoping to dump - hence the move)

2) Network-side firewalls or server firewalls - see 1, the software works on a non-VM

3) Local firewalls; I have tried this with the Mac firewall disabled, the guest firewall disabled, and all the various combinations of the two.

My understanding of NAT is that the IP masquerading should track any outgoing connections, see the appropriate response on the real interface, and give the return connection back to the NATed application (in this case, the VM). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working for FlexLM clients.

I have not tried this with a FlexLM linux product on a linux guest, but that wouldn't really help me, since this software doesn't run on linux either.

I've looked through the forums, and have not been able to find anything that is similar, so if anyone has had any experience with this issue, I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,

David

MacBook Pro 15" 2011

OS X 10.6.8/10.7 (tried both for this issue) host; Window 7 Enterprise 32bit guest

VMware Fusion 3.1.3

0 Kudos
1 Reply
dbhart
Contributor
Contributor

I have just tried with the bridged adapter instead of the NAT adapter. It still did not work, with all firewalls disabled and with Windows 7 told that this was a private (trusted) network I was attached to.

David

0 Kudos