VMware Communities
jmmv
Contributor
Contributor

Problems installing Vista Business

Hello,

I've just discovered VMware Fusion and installed the RC1. I have had no problems installing systems such as Fedora, NetBSD or Debian inside it, both in 32 bit and 64 bit versions. This is extremely cool Smiley Happy But, unfortunately, I cannot get Windows Vista Business to work.

To install Vista, I created a new virtual machine and specified "Windows Vista" as the guest OS. Then I created a 10 GB hard disk drive, and in the Easy Install page, I specified:

X Use Easy Install:

Name: Julio M. Merino Vidal

Password: my password, didn't leave this empty

Product key: my key

X Enable file sharing

Then I selected "Use operating system installation disk image file" and pointed it to the Windows Vista Business ISO image (which I got from MSDNAA) I have on an external disk. I didn't select the option to start installation immediately because I wanted to tweak a couple of settings beforehand.

I set the RAM to 768MB and selected to have 2 CPUs inside the virtual machine.

And then I proceeded with the install. Everything was working fine until the installer rebooted the first time to get into the on-disk system. After a short while I got a dialog window which said:

Title: Install Windows

Windows could not parse or process unattend answer file \[C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml] for pass \[oobeSystem]. The answer file is invalid.

Buttons: OK

I clicked OK and the virtual machine rebooted, again, from the on-disk system. At that point I got a different dialog:

Title: Install Windows

Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation.

Buttons: OK

And that's it. The installation did not work. Any idea about what the problem can be? Is this a bug in Fusion's Easy Install feature?

I may now try to do the same without using Easy Install and see what happens, and I bet it will work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
floreal
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find a solution? I got the same glitch. Are we doing somthung silly?

0 Kudos
drakain
Contributor
Contributor

I currently have the same issue trying to image a VM Guest machine with my OSD disc. Here's a solution I'm going to try but I'm not exactly sure if it will work

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=81&t=81802

If you scroll down to Jazkal's comment he says that he has it working when you inject the VMWare drivers (inf) files to the WinPE image. I'm going to see if this resolves it.

0 Kudos