VMware Communities
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

Problems creating VM from Boot Camp partition

My Boot Camp install is on a different drive to my main OS X partition on my Mac Pro. Consequently, I was unable to use the Boot Camp support in beta 3. Now, having installed beta 4, I get a Boot Camp VM listed. First impressions: excellent.

When I start the VM, a dialogue box pops up telling me that Fusion is preparing my BC partition for use. Then I get an error:

"Boot Camp partition preprocessing failed. Drivers for your Boot Camp partition may not be loaded."

My Boot Camp drivers are \*definitely* loaded. They are the 1.2 versions (though the sound drivers may be a later version, as the versions included in 1.2 wouldn't work on my Mac Pro). My Boot Camp uses XP with SP2.

If I dismiss this error message and try and start the VM anyway, I get a BSOD, presumably because the drivers for the Fusion hardware aren't loaded. If I let Windows reboot and try safe mode, I get the same BSOD.

I have tried deleting the VMWare direction from ~/Library/Application Support to get Fusion to try to re-generate the VM, but I get the same error.

Is there something wrong with my BC partition? Would it be worth upgrading to the just-released version 1.3 of BootCamp? Or even biting the bullet and re-installing Windows?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

The message isn't quite clear enough; it's trying to say "The drivers needed to run your Boot Camp partition in a VM" are not loaded, because the preprocessing failed.

The BSOD you see is because the IDE driver didn't get loaded; that's what the preprocessing was trying to set up.

Could you post the contents of the vmware.log file you'll find under your Home directory in Library\Application Support\VMware Fusion\Virtual Machines\Helper\naos-1.0.vmwarem? (The last name is a bundle; click it and say 'Show Package Contents" to get to the vmware.log file.)

Reinstalling Windows or upgrading to BootCamp v1.3 won't change things. If you're willing to attempt the preprocessing manually, I posted manual instructions here:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=88285&tstart=0

0 Kudos
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jim

Please find attached the log file. I will give the instructions you posted in the linked thread a go as well.

0 Kudos
VincentVega
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the instructions in the linked thread and copied the drivers to my system32 directory. I can now run my VM from my Boot Camp partition. Hoorah!

The only problem now is that neither my mouse or keyboard work. I installed the registry script that was attached to your post in the linked thread - has this messed up the input drivers?

0 Kudos
jim_gill
Expert
Expert

The bootcamp.reg I posted turns on both disk drive and keyboard/mouse drivers. Did you extract i8042prt.sys (the MS keyboard/mouse driver) from sp2.cab and copy it into the \windows\system32 folder?

I have seen some systems where the mouse and keyboard bcomes alive only on the second boot, but others where it did not.

BTW, thanks for posting your log. The Boot Camp preparation failed because it wasn't able to mount the disk of your boot camp partition. In builds Beta 4 we can detect this situation if it occurs because Windows hadn't shut down cleanly the last time it was run. Any chance this was your issue, if you recall? Fusion won't mount a dirty NTFS partition and take a chance of filesystem corruption, but Windows will clean anything necessary on its next startup.

0 Kudos
bimboles
Contributor
Contributor

I also has the above problem, I copied the sys files and ran the Reg file. I can now but into Windows but I am also unable to use the mouse and keyboard. I am using a Macbook Pro.

0 Kudos