VMware Communities
DebC
Contributor
Contributor

Problems accessing internet explorer via VMWare Fusion

Hello!

I must access my real estate application using internet explorer. I've had VMWare Fusion for about 1-1/2 months and had not had a problem until now. When I double click to open internet explorer I immediately get a message that the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close." This started yesterday morning. I was able to access the internet by late afternoon. Now I'm not able to access it again. This is critical for me because I can't get to the system that I use to manage my real estate listings.

I would greatly appreciate a solution to this stressful issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BP9906
Expert
Expert

What mode is Fusion in? Unity, Single window, or Full screen? It appears your error may be Windows related (not fusion related). Do you have any Security Software installed on your Windows VM? What version of Windows do you have? XP, Vista, etc. ?

0 Kudos
DebC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure if I understand your question about the mode that Fusion is on. It's a full screen when I work on the PC side of my Mac. Is this the answer you're looking for. I'm am running Windows XP Home Edition. How do I find out what year it is? I don't think I have any security software running unless it came with the system. I haven't purchased any.

I don't understand why I'm starting to have this problem in the first place since I haven't had it in the past.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Hello!

When I double click to open internet explorer I immediately get a message that the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and must close."

While anything is possible I fail to see how this is a VMware Fusion issue! What your describing is a OS issue and you should turn to Microsoft for support or seek the answer in a Windows based Forum or Google for an answer as one of these may be faster in addressing your OS issue.

As an alternative until you get IE functioning have you considered installing an alternate Browser such as Firefox? Since IE isn't working in Windows you will need to download it in OS X and Drag & Drop it in the Virtual Machine then install it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all.html

Direct Link for ES English Windows version:

http://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-2.0.0.11&os=win&lang=en-US

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think I have any security software running unless it came with the system. I haven't purchased any.

I don't understand why I'm starting to have this problem in the first place since I haven't had it in the past.

If you're not running and security software like antivirus, spyware or firewall software then it is a good chance your issue could be a result of malware, spyware or virus.

Just because you haven't had a problem in the past doesn't preclude you from having a problem now or in the future and I'm not sure what reasoning you'd use to even think that way. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
DebC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your help. I'll check with Microsoft. As for downloading another browser, the application that houses all of the listings is only supported through Internet Explorer. It sucks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah that does suck! Smiley Sad

Try the following command in a Command Prompt or the Run dialog box:

"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg

If the above doesn't work then try...

In a Command Prompt type the following command then press Enter after each one.

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 mshtml.dll

regsvr32 browseui.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

regsvr32 oleaut32.dll

0 Kudos
carolinchicago
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much, Woody Z. Your fix worked for me.

"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" /rereg

I, too, have been using Fusion for a few months and need it specifically for some stupid sites that require MSIE, and today was the first time I had that particular crash. Grrr. Thanks.

0 Kudos