VMware Communities
Steve7777
Contributor
Contributor

Problem using virtual machine from previous laptop

Hi guys,🤝

I need to use my saved virtual machine (Windows 7) from my previous MacBook 2013 (Big Sur).

I am having a problem with starting a virtual machine in a new MacBook 2020 (Monterey 12.6)

I installed VMware Fusion 13 on my new MacBook (2020) and when I start my saved virtual machine I see:

• “Restricted virtual machine is not supported by current VMware Fusion version”
  • You can remove restrictions from this virtual machine using Fusion version prior to 12.0”.

But if I installed Fusion prior to 12.0, I saw other problems:

• "Unable to retrieve kernel zone sizes"
  • "Failed to initialize monitor device"

I read the reasons for last problems in this page and I see for my OS Monterey is only compatible with Fusion 12.2 and later

Please guys, Help me!  I feel that this vicious circle is about to kill me.
What can I do?
Maybe exists a special soft for transforming my old virtual machine (Fusion 11) to the new format (Fusion 13).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What version of Fusion were you running on that previous MacBook? Fusion 12 was the only version that supported Big Sur version, and it also removed support for restricted VMs per the release notes.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

It's not a format issue, they're the same.  It's that you have a restricted VM, which has to be unrestricted using a previous version of fusion, and that version of fusion only runs on older OS's.  Newer version of fusion can't remove the restriction.

Restricted VM's from earlier versions - VMware Communitieshttps://communities.vmware.com › td-p might have a hint to a workaround, but it'll be very slow on a 2013 machine, and it assumes that you have nested virtualization capabilities on your machine.

The easiest thing to do is find a machine with an older OS on it and remove the restriction, then copy it over.

0 Kudos