VMware Communities
BocaBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Problem upgrading to Boot Camp 3.2

I'm running Win7 Ultimate as a Fusion VM under 10.6.6 on a 24" iMac. VMWare Tools is successfully installed and I also use LogMeIn for remote access to this machine. I am unable to successfully update to Boot Camp 3.2. After I allow Apple Software Update to download and install BC, and do the requisite restart, it remains at 3.1.

I tried disabling the LogMeIn video driver as I saw on some other discussion boards that it might be the culprit, but I came up with the same problem.

So my question is, how do I update to Boot Camp 3.2? I should add that the vm is behaving perfectly under 3.1.

Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you're talking about Boot Camp Software Update 3.2 for Windows 32 bit then why exactly are you coming to VMware for an issue with an Apple software update?

You should be going to Apple about issues with Apple software updates.

0 Kudos
BocaBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Because it's not updating inside Fusion. If the problem occured on a Boot Camp partition then I'd go to Apple. I feel pretty confident that someone from VMWare might be able to shed some light on this problem, or at least offer a more helpful answer than "Go talk to Apple."

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe you haven't explained the issue well enough so I'll elaborate a bit more.

Updates to Boot Camp Drivers are to be done from a native boot of the Boot Camp partition not from the Boot Camp partition booted as a Virtual Machine and if the update is successful then I think that's pretty much the end of it and if not it's an Apple issue.  If there are any other issues in regards to this while running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine then then the only choices from the VMware Fusion side are to either uninstall/reinstall VMware Tools and or delete/recreate the Boot Camp Virtual Machine.

0 Kudos
BocaBoy
Contributor
Contributor

I think I understand what you're saying. For the record, this is a converted Boot Camp partition to a Fusion VM. The actual partition no longer exists, so applying Boot Camp natively is no loner an option.

So maybe the question should be, is there any reason for me to be running Boot Camp at all in a pure Fusion VM? Does VMWare tools supply all needed drivers for graphics, CD/DVD, etc? VMWare tools is installed and not reporting any errors or causing any performance problems.

The VM itself seems to be running just fine. Device Manager shows everything working, and there are no errors or "problems" being reported in the tray area. My sole problem is that Boot Camp, which was installed when this was a Boot Camp partition, will not update from v. 3.1 to 3.2.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

For the record, this is a converted Boot Camp partition to a Fusion VM. The actual partition no longer exists, so applying Boot Camp natively is no loner an option.

It really irks me when information like that is omitted!  This should have been made perfectly clear in your OP however it doesn't change the situation because an imported or converted Boot Camp partition basically has nothing to do with Boot Camp any longer and you're actually trying to install software that is meant for Boot Camp not VMware Fusion!

Therefore it is expected when installing Boot Camp Software Update 3.2 for Windows 32 bit in a file based Virtual Machine to fail since a normal file based Virtual Machine whether created normally or imported or converted is not Windows running natively from Boot Camp.

The only applicable drivers that shouldn't fail are for Bluetooth and iSight if you connect them to the Virtual Machine however I'd be careful connecting Bluetooth because if you have a Bluetooth Keyboard and or Mouse you'll loose it on the Host and that wouldn't be good.

The only Boot Camp driver I'd ever install/run in a file based Virtual Machine is the AppleiSightInstaller.exe from the OS X DVD and not worry about any further upgrades and only install it if you want to use iSight in the Virtual Machine.

BocaBoy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer. I'll take your advice and configure Apple Update to ignore future updates of Boot Camp.

0 Kudos