VMware Communities
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Problem updating desktop tools

Hi,

I have just installed the release demo and I can't upgrade the vmtools... I always get an error 1500 saying I already have an install going on (And it's not the case...).

Any idea?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please reboot the Virtual Machine and then try to uninstall VMware Tools via the control panel->add/remove programs utility. After removing tools, reboot the Virtual Machine again and attempt a clean install of Tools.

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

It says that another installation is already in progress... and won't uninstall...

I haven't run anything Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

The same happens when I try from Bootcamp... Help!

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

So no one knows? VMWARE? no?

0 Kudos
aliasme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) Uninstall VMtools from the add/remove in the control panel

2) Launch a dos prompt and type, 'set' without quotes

3) Get the location of your temp directory, i.e. TEMP = line

4) In the dos prompt type:

deltree /y \[path to temp]\*.*

\[path to temp] is c:\temp or whatever you saw in step 3

5) In the dos prompt type:

deltree /y c:\windows\temp\*.*

6) Reboot again and make sure VMtools is not running in your tool tray (the icon on lower right) and make sure VMware Tools is not listed in the add/remove items in the control panel.

7) Launch the installer from the VMware OS X Finder menu under Virtual Machine. It should say Install VMware tools or Update VMware tools (due to a bug).

You should be all set. Basically, you are making sure it's gone and clearing our the temp files from an incomplete install.

0 Kudos
Harliv
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can also get to the tmp directory by doing start->run and typing in %tmp% and then cleaning out the directory.

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I had given up on Fusion a while back, not being able to take care of this problem but I really would like to try fusion 2.0

Trying to install vmware tools still gives me the error 1500: Another installation is in progress. You must complete that installation before continuing this one...

I have a WCESlog file I can not delete in my temp file... I tried everything on the web thinking it would solve this problem. Any other idea?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
dairladada
Contributor
Contributor

No idea?

0 Kudos
lenlayton
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same problem after upgrading to Fusion 2.0 I then upgraded the virtual machine and rebooted it. Then I tried to install the VMware Tools upgrade. It uninstalled the old VMWare Tools and then failed while installing the new version. Then, I rebooted and tried again. I have tried deleting everything out of the %TMP% directory, without any change.

WHY WON'T ANYONE FROM VMWARE RESPOND?

0 Kudos
tsmith35
Contributor
Contributor

(moved)

0 Kudos