VMware Communities
Blackdeerhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem running a existing VM with fusion

Im trying to run a vm I've been using with player on my pc. It refuses to run under fusion any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Blackdeerhunter wrote: Ive gotten farther the system starts windows and then wants me to activate it now what???

Well, lets see...  Oh yeah, activate it! Smiley Wink

BTW This is not a VMware issue per se as Windows product Activation is a Microsoft issue regardless of whether one is running Windows on a physical or virtual machine.  With the exception of running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine where VMware Tools manages the WPA Database to allow one to boot both natively and virtual this would be the extent of VMware's part in this per se and the rest in on you as a user to deal with Microsoft with.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Please provide more details.

1) which version of player were you using ?

2) Guest OS

3) Error message.?

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
Blackdeerhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Player Version is 3.1.4

Guest OS is XP

Error message:

Blue screen flashes to quickly to read but windows tries to again with the system failed to start do you want to boot normally

or safe mode options

0 Kudos
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can see the Blue Screen, it proved Fusion starting up the VM successfully. I think this issue caused by some device configuration change which happened constantly after upgrading device for physical machine.

My recommendation:

1. Take a Snapshot at first to protect your original data

2. Try to change device configuration on Settings pane, CPU, MEM, HD..., anything may cause the issue

3. If step2 does not work, you also can login safe mode to repair your XP system with XP image

4. If step3 does not work, remove snapshot, then create a new VM with Fusion and select "add existing disk " on new VM Assitant to move your VMDK file to your new VM

Hope these can help you.

Harry

0 Kudos
Blackdeerhunter
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ive gotten farther the system starts windows and then wants me to activate it now what???

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Blackdeerhunter wrote: Ive gotten farther the system starts windows and then wants me to activate it now what???

Well, lets see...  Oh yeah, activate it! Smiley Wink

BTW This is not a VMware issue per se as Windows product Activation is a Microsoft issue regardless of whether one is running Windows on a physical or virtual machine.  With the exception of running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine where VMware Tools manages the WPA Database to allow one to boot both natively and virtual this would be the extent of VMware's part in this per se and the rest in on you as a user to deal with Microsoft with.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos