VMware Communities
RichDuzzi
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing Windows XP SP3

I purchased VMware Fusion 5.0.3 a little bit back (probably just a bit before 6.0 came out) and installed my Windows XP from the original disc (My PC had died so I could not somehow just transfer the OS and updates.)

Anyway, when I go into VM Fusion and try to update to SP3, I get an error about "Bad_Pool_Caller". It then 'suspends' the Virtual Machine BUT keeps VMware Fusion operating. (NOTE: For some reason the 'mouse/pen' locks up and I was not able to copy the entire error message.)

I need to get SP3 installed so that I can run a handful of critical software I need for my business. I do not feel like paying the large OS price for a PC/Windows OS that - while important to me - is not used that much percentage-wise.

ALL thoughts and possible solutions would be appreciated.

Rich

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

RichDuzzi wrote: and installed my Windows XP from the original disc (My PC had died so I could not somehow just transfer the OS and updates.)

If this is an OEM version that came with the PC then you're not entitled to install in an any other machine, physical or virtual, as it is bound to the original system on which it was initially installed by it EULA! Smiley Wink

Anyway, when I go into VM Fusion and try to update to SP3, I get an error about "Bad_Pool_Caller". It then 'suspends' the Virtual Machine BUT keeps VMware Fusion operating. (NOTE: For some reason the 'mouse/pen' locks up and I was not able to copy the entire error message.)

If this was during a normal Windows Update I'd opt to use the Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers installer instead of using Windows Update.

I need to get SP3 installed so that I can run a handful of critical software I need for my business.

FYI... As of April 8, 2014 Windows XP will no longer be supported and will not receive any additionally updates, the most important being security related, and should no longer be allowed to connect to the Internet (or Network) after that date! Smiley Wink  Black Hat Hackers, malware and virus writers will probably be making a point to target Windows XP for any know and new unfixed vulnerabilities discovered after that.

0 Kudos