VMware Communities
keepOnKeepinOn
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing Windows 8 on Lion using Fusion 4

Hi

I am am trying to intall Windows 8 with Fusion 4 on a new Mac Pro running Lion.  I get an error message saying that windows has found "a problem communicating with an external device, such as CD ROM drive".  It flags an error "An unexpected I/O error has occured." and a status of "0xc00000e9". 

I have disconnected & turned off all devices (NAS drive etc) and run Apples Hardware Utility (which didnt find any problems, even with an extended check).  The DVD drive seems to work.  Nothing else is attached.

So I am a bit perplexed what to try next.  Any suggestions?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi keepOnKeepinOn, and welcome to the VMware Community!

Are you installing from a physical burned disc of Windows 8 in your host's DVD drive, or have you connected the disc image file directly to the virtual DVD drive? If the former, can you try using Disk Utility to create an image of your Windows 8 media (or otherwise obtain the disc image file) and connect the resulting image file to the virtual CD/DVD drive?  We've had a few users report that this is more reliable than using the physical disc directly.

Hope this helps!

--

Darius

0 Kudos
keepOnKeepinOn
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius

Thanks for the prompt reply... I am using the disc image file (*.iso) for windows 8 downloaded directly from microsoft and then loaded directly to Fusion4. Is this what you are suggesting?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes that is what he's suggesting.

Did you validate the SHA1 hash against its published value to make sure the ISO Image you downloaded is a valid image?

0 Kudos
keepOnKeepinOn
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Woody.

i havent tried to validate the sha1 hashtag. but i just tried now with ... openss1 sha1 (downloaded file.iso) in terminal - as recommended on the apple website - but terminal claims that i dont have openss1 (whatever that is). is there a better way or something that i am doing wrong?

i appreciate your help

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Open a Terminal and copy and paste the command below followed by a space and then drag and drop the ISO Image onto the Terminal window to populate the fully qualified pathname to the ISO Image.  Then set focus to the Terminal and press Enter waiting for the prompt to return with the SHA1 hash to compare to the published value.

/usr/bin/openssl sha1
0 Kudos