VMware Communities
STEVEP201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing Windows 7

Hi all

I use a 2008 MacBook Pro on which I had been using Bootcamp to run Windows until recently, so I'm fairly new to VMware Fusion.

I am running Windows XP SP2 but want to now use Windows 7 (32-bit) and have the full installation disks.

I've been following this link which explains the process well:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101539...

Anyhow, here's my problem:

When I come to load the SCSI driver, it doesn't appear on the list unless I untick the "Hide drivers that are not compatible with the computer" checkbox.

I'm not sure why this would be the case. Is it an XP issue?

Is there a solution to this problem?

Am I better off installing through the Bootcamp avenue then linking up Fusion afterwards?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you're trying to do an in place upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine then don't bother as you're wasting your time since Windows XP is not directly upgradeable in that it would not keep all you applications installed so just create a totally new Windows 7 Virtual Machine and it will install the SCSI Driver automatically.

If you're using upgrade media then use the information in Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media to install/activate it. I've used Method 2 successfully.

You can delete the Windows XP Virtual Machine after you've backed up your user data and have Windows 7 up and running unless you don't have enough room to have both.  Just ctr-click the target Virtual Machine on the Virtual Machine Library and select Delete.

If you want to transfer files and settings then have a look at:

Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7

Or

Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (64 bit) to Windows 7

0 Kudos
STEVEP201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodyZ

Up and running

0 Kudos