VMware Communities
jim44
Contributor
Contributor

Problem installing VMware Tools on Fusion 5.0.3 - openSuse 12.3

VMWare Tools install on openSUSE 12.3 can't find the headers. I need detailed instructions how to point Tools to the header. ThanksF

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jim44
Contributor
Contributor

Searching for a valid kernel header path...

The path "" is not a valid path to the 3.7.10-1.1-desktop kernel headers.

Would you like to change it? [yes]

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
jim44
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the following:

ln -s /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.1-obj/x86_64/desktop/include/generated/uapi/linux /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.1-obj/x86_64/desktop/include/

I did not install 64 bit openSUSE, should I redo?

the path /usr/src/linux-3.7.10-1.1-obj does not exist

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You need to adjust that command line so it reflects the kernel you have installed.  The following is from another Linux Distro and "$(uname -r)" inputs the kernel information from the Enviroment.  This command line may need to be modified, can't say for sure as I have not tried it on openSUSE.

sudo ln -s /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h /usr/src/linux-headers-$(uname -r)/include/linux/version.h
0 Kudos
jim44
Contributor
Contributor

only a directory is in /usr/src name is: packages

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Like I said that command was from a different Linux Distro and mainly presented to show how to deal with the kernel version, not having to explicitly have it in the command as it's picked up by "$(uname -r)" and I do not use openSUSE so the only thing I can say is go into the openSUSE community message boards and find out where the headers are stored and go from there.

0 Kudos