VMware Communities
jonas3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem installing OpenBSD 4.2

I run latest Fusion on Leopard. I'm trying to install OpenBSD 4.2 and the installation proceeds just fine but when

the installation is done and I try to reboot Fusion can not find a bootable hardrive. Like if I had not installed OpenBSD

on the disk. I have tried it several times both with the FreeBSD settings and the Other/Other setttings.

Nothing works. All other OS works fine. Have Vista and Debian Linux.

Any idea? The disk is auto set to IDE.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. Whoa is openbsd not fun to install! What guide did you use?? I can say there is no way I would get through that install "winging it." I highly recommend the Installation Guide at OpenBSD 4.2, especially nearly following the disk section verbatim. I'm pretty sure that's where the issue is. Did you put the OpenBSD partition at 3 beginning at sector 63? That's almost certainly required.

Here's a screenshot for my efforts:

Let me know how else I can help.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have the LiveCD or the OS install CD? Where did you get it, you have a URL you can share with us? Makes me wonder if the OS is being 'installed' in /tmp or a transient location.

0 Kudos
jonas3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using the OS install CD which is a network intall CD. The installation is a

generic OpenBSD installation with nothing extra. One root parition and one swap.

Grab it here:

I'm used HTTP-installation from mirror.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link. Whoa is openbsd not fun to install! What guide did you use?? I can say there is no way I would get through that install "winging it." I highly recommend the Installation Guide at OpenBSD 4.2, especially nearly following the disk section verbatim. I'm pretty sure that's where the issue is. Did you put the OpenBSD partition at 3 beginning at sector 63? That's almost certainly required.

Here's a screenshot for my efforts:

Let me know how else I can help.

0 Kudos
jonas3
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

He He, yeah OpenBSD isn't easy to install the first time. I forgot to put a yes when asking if I want to use the

whole disk for OpenBSD. I put a no there and proceeded with partitioning the disk without doing anything in fdisk.

My misstake. Thanks for your help. Works just fine now.

0 Kudos