VMware Communities
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem attaching exisiting vmdk to new VM

Hello

Just upgraded to Fusion 6 and things seem ok (except for the dreaded license bug but this is ok now).

I'm having an issue attaching an existing virtual disk form an existing - functioning - VM. Basically all vmdk files are grayed out and not eligible, regardless of the option to share / copy / take over the disk.

I have checked that I have full R/W access to the fie (and it works fine if I fire up the other virtual machine).

Any idea ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I ended up adding another new drive to the VM I wanted to attach to and the editing the drive description (# Disk DescriptorFile)

in the vmdk file manually - worked just fine...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm running VMware Fusion 6 and have no problem adding an existing virtual had disk from another Virtual Machine.  Are you sure you're not trying to add an existing virtual had disk from the Virtual Machine your wanting to add an existing virtual had disk to?  Off the top of my head that could be a likely scenario and I can't at the moment think of another reason without reviewing information from the support bundle.

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

Note: Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button!

Also state which is the Virtual Machine you're trying to add an existing virtual hard disk to and from which Virtual Machine you're trying to add it from.

atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well I ended up adding another new drive to the VM I wanted to attach to and the editing the drive description (# Disk DescriptorFile)

in the vmdk file manually - worked just fine...

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

atakacs wrote: Well I ended up adding another new driver to the VM I wanted to attach to and the editing the XML in the vmdk file manually - worked just fine...

As written I'd not call what you wrote as the correct answer! Smiley Wink  First of all you added a new drive not "driver" and there is no "XML" to edit in the "vmdk file", or the .vmx file for that matter which is the file that whould have been edited to manually point it to the existing virtual hard disk that could't be added via the Settings UI.

0 Kudos
atakacs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your comment. I have amended my post to make it more descriptive. The VMDK file (the first one) is indeed a text file (non XML, admittedly) that can be edited and it is what I have done (ie. replaced the description of the drive I created by the existing one). Didn't even touch the VMX.

0 Kudos