VMware Communities
crunchy2
Contributor
Contributor

Printing produces what appears to be a postscript text file

Or something like postscript. I have a Xerox Phaser 6130n which is connected to our wireless access point. In addition to printing such text instead of the document, it also always requests that I load paper to the manual feed, but that's a side issue. When I load the paper I just get the garbage text output.

I'm running Snow Leopard and the latest version of Fusion. Windows is Windows XP with SP3.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm trying to track this bug down internally, and I can reproduce it with a Xerox WorkCenter 245.

Mind posing the output of Help > Collect Support Information?

Thanks 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
mappler
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with an Epson CX7400. My setup is this:

Mac Mini hosting the Epson CX7400 connected via USB.

MacBook running Snow Leopard, VMWare Fusion 2.0.5, and hosting a WinXP SP3 virtual machine.

MacBook is connected via WiFi and Mini is hard wired. Printing from OSX works fine.

-Matt

0 Kudos
mappler
Contributor
Contributor

Customer support file attached...

0 Kudos
quickitie
Contributor
Contributor

I also run Snow Leopard and have problem printing to a HP3005dn.

Current work around is to drag and drop files from Windows XP to Snow Leopard and convert to pdf and print directly to the printer.

This is taking way too much time. Please help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi guys

We've got an internal bug on this, and what happens is 10.6 makes changes to how /etc/cups behaves. (specifically, removes our ThinPrint helpers)

As such, a reinstall of Fusion sets things back how we expect them to be (with no adverse effects from the Host). This doesn't affect your Virtual Machines.

Thanks for helping us figure this one out 😃

-
0 Kudos
crunchy2
Contributor
Contributor

FYI, I found a not ideal solution, but it works well if you've got a Bonjour printer and can set your Windows to have it's own IP address. Install Bonjour for Windows and set your Windows VM to have it's own IP address instead of sharing. Then you can use Bonjour printer setup tool to setup the printer and that works perfectly.

I'm forgetting what that ip option is called in Fusion offhand, but it's not the default.

0 Kudos
quickitie
Contributor
Contributor

Wow! Worked perfectly. Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
farmerrob
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mike,

I think I am having the same problem with printing after installing 10.6 as these other guys. Does your response to this problem imply that I need to reinstall Fusion to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help,

Robert

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yessir...

Although if you've got 10.6, I'd recommend you simply install the 2.0.6 beta update, which addresses the printing issue, as well as some other annoying 10.6-related quirks.

You can find it here:

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-10798

And, just to clarify, installing this does the same fix that re-installing 2.0.5 does. 10.6 overwrites /etc/cups, which we use to hold some of our printing drivers. Re-installing or upgrading puts this back the way we expect without messing up what 10.6 needs.

-
0 Kudos