VMware Communities
edj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Printing Error in 2.0.4

I have not been able to get passthrough printing to work in Fusion 2.0.4. I'm running OSX 10.5.7 on a MBP.

I have printers enabled in Settings.

I'm mostly trying to printing Outlook emails. Something goes to the printer but always results in the amber error light going off and no printing.

I am trying to print to either an HP 1320 or HP 2015.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Still not being able to print from Fusion through Thinprint or Bonjour. Would appreciate help.

I am not an expert, but you might try the solution here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1286212#1286212

David

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

There are a lot of discussions on this in the Forum. Take a look at this link, and see if one of the discussions there helps:

Forum printing threads

Kevin

0 Kudos
edj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for that suggestion.

I did not see a solution in any of these posts.

I have tried to use Bonjour and Turning on printer sharing on the Mac side all to no avail. I cannot print any which way. Troublesome to say the least.

0 Kudos
edj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would really appreciate some help with this.

I've reinstalled Fusion but no help. Back to printing to PDF and then printing on Mac side.

0 Kudos
edj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still not being able to print from Fusion through Thinprint or Bonjour. Would appreciate help.

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am not an expert, but you might try the solution here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1286212#1286212

David

0 Kudos
edj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi David,

Hallelujah!!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I now have printing again in Fusion.

I looked at your referenced post and just started trying different things based on what worked for you. What seemed to have done it for me for now is:

1. Turned off the firewall (I'm using McAfee)

2. Deleted any reference to my printer in Printers and Fax. (HP 2015)

3. In Fusion Set Up unchecked passthrough printing "Enabled."

4. Installed the HP 2015 through Bonjour Printer Wizard using the HP Universal PCL driver (Previously Bonjour wasn't working because the printer would show up as available and then disappear.)

5. Turned firewall back on.

Note that I added to the subject of this post "2.0.5" which I also just upgraded to. I was hoping that with the new version of Fusion that passthrough printing would work for me but it didn't. I have no idea if anything in 2.0.5 helped but I don't think so. I'm guessing that turning off the firewall was the key thing and using Hp driver rather than the Generic one which printed out a strange page.

Anyway, I'm very happy. This is a substantial time saver for me. Thanks again for coming forward to help.

Best to you. Ed

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You are very welcome--I am glad you found a solution. I know how great it felt when I solved my printing problem, and was hoping to help someone else.

I agree that disabling the firewall is probably essential.

By the way, for what it's worth, I am using one of the specific drivers for my printer (HP LaserJet 4050 Series PCL6; the other one is just PCL), not the generic HP one. I don't know what difference it makes, though. I am also not sure what the difference between PCL and PCL6 is.

David

0 Kudos