VMware Communities
Fifer
Contributor
Contributor

Power cut woes

Last night we were blessed with a power cut while I was using my Windows XP OS in my Boot Camp VM (Fusion 1.1.1).

This morning I had to re-activate Windows when I tried to boot back into that same Boot Camp VM. Is this something that is unavoidable in these circumstances? I understand the correct procedure is to Shut Down the Guest etc., but the message I got was that there appeared to be a change in the hardware, necessitating re-activation. Is this something that can be overcome in a future version of Fusion? Maybe no-one else has experienced this power cut hiatus so far?

I found I didn't need to re-activate when I booted into Windows to run it natively in the Boot Camp partition, prior to re-activation in the VM.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Power loss usually carries a risk of data loss/corruption, which could show up in a bunch of ways. I don't think losing power should cause you to necessarily lose activation (and don't see how that would happen), but I suppose it's possible.

0 Kudos
Fifer
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thanks. I don't pretend to have any understanding of what might have happened, so I'm dependent on knowledgeable folk like you to enlighten me. I know it's bad to have a sudden brutal shutdown like that though.

Do you think my other problem is associated with the power cut and resulting shutdown? Here's the link to my post concerning that:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/124447?tstart=15

I'm hesitating before taking action until I really know that I understand precisely what to do. (Apologies to BP9906 for my not catching on too quickly.)

0 Kudos