VMware Communities
vr8ce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Possible to enter extended ASCII codes?

Fusion 6.0.2 on Mavericks 10.9.

I searched the FAQ, the VMWare site, and Googled before asking this, but couldn't find anything. I searched for "ascii codes" and "extended ascii" and a few other variations.

In Windows with a ten-key keyboard, it's possible to enter extended ASCII codes via Alt and the 0-9 keys on the numeric keypad, e.g. Alt-0151 for an em-dash. A MB[P] obviously doesn't have a ten-key on it, but I wondered if there's a different way within Fusion to enter the codes.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I believe that's a Windows thing and the character that is actually typed will depend on what program you're tying into.  I can type Alt+0151 in two different apps in Windows and get two entirely different characters.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

For OS X Mavericks have a look at: OS X Mavericks: Enter special characters and symbols

0 Kudos
vr8ce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, it's a Windows thing (and pretty much a global Windows thing, so I don't know what app you have that doesn't show an em-dash), which is why I asked on the Fusion and not Mavericks forum. Smiley Happy

My question is does Fusion provide a way, in Windows, to enter that Alt-0XXX on a MBP that doesn't have a ten-key pad?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry I thought you were asking for the Windows equivalent in OS X.  No, VMware Fusion has no functionality to manipulate a Windows Virtual Machine in that manner however you can use Character Map in Windows, virtual or physical, if a numeric keyboard is not present to do the equivalent.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi vr8ce,

Fusion will happily pass numeric-keypad codes from the host keyboard through to the guest, so you can solve this if you can convince OS X to generate numeric-keypad codes.  I haven't tried it myself, and have no idea if it will cooperate with Fusion properly and generate proper numeric-keypad codes, but this might allow you to do what you need:

https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/index.html

Let us know if that helps!

Cheers,

--

Darius

vr8ce
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Perfect. That's what I was asking if Fusion had a way to do, but it works great (and without any configuration, even). It's worked everywhere I've tried it in Fusion but Word, which is interesting, but that's for another day.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion will happily pass numeric-keypad codes from the host keyboard through to the guest

Just to be clear VMware Fusion in of an by itself cannot do what the OP originally asked unless one uses either a numeric keypad (which hasn't been present on recent models of Mac Books) or resort to a 3rd party utility such as the one you suggested.  I have an Apple MagicTrackpad with a Mobee numeric keypad overlay and that works on my MBP with Windows VM's but didn't mention it.

0 Kudos