VMware Communities
pete_xxx
Contributor
Contributor

Positive Feedback for Fusion

Well, I figured it would be nice to post positive feedback in the forum, since most of the posts are problem related. I took some advice from within the forums and I now have an almost flawless install of Windows XP Pro x64 running in Fusion on my new 20" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac with 2GB RAM.

Congratulations VMWare Fusion team, the product is phenomenal, even at a 1.0 release. I just did an easy install of Windows XP Pro x64 and gave it 768MB of RAM, and everything works great, usb devices and printing works fine. I installed a variety of applications, Office 2003, Photoshop, Illustrator and had no real problems.

Unity still needs some work, but other than that performance is more than adequate. I avoided boot camp completely, since I'm not a gamer and I like snapshot functionality. I think the key with my success is running a 64bit guest OS as well as using the default SCSI disks and avoiding a BootCamp install.

I look forward to fixes in the 1.1 release, which I would anticipate would be out within the next couple months, probably shortly after Leopard. Smiley Happy

Message was edited by:

pete.xxx

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

With your success you may be able to help me, Pete. I have installed Windows XP Pro x64 into my MacBook Pro 17" 2.6 GHz C2D running Leopard 10.5.1. Programs seem to run fine.

My difficulty is with setting up a printer on my home wireless network using an Airport Extreme with an Epson C88 attached to the Extreme's USB port.

I have run the manual printing installation routine according to VMWare Fusion 1.0 printer video (I am running Fusion 1.1) using the Bonjour for Windows application. All goes well until I get to the last "next" step when I get the Error message "You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer."

I HAVE enabled printer sharing. Can you help me? Mike.

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

0 Kudos
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I did use this. Now here are the results in TWO cases. Each case applies to two MBPs one is a 15" 2.4 GHz machine; the other is a 17" 2.6 GHz machine. Both laptops are running Leopard 10.5.1 OS.

Case 1: Using your printer video (which is well done) I was successful on both laptops when using Windows XP Pro 32 bit. I successfully hooked up with both an Epson C88 attached to the USB port of my Airport Extreme and to an HP 7780 all in one hooked up to an ethernet cable which was connected to it and to my Airport Extreme.

Case 2: In this case the only difference was when using a Fusion Virtual Machine WITH a Windows XP Pro x64. With this 64 bit processor I could NOT set up the printers. I followed the same exact procedure as for Case 1. Every time I got to the last step, i.e., "Finish", I always got the error message which I quoted above in my earlier posting.

There seems to be an incompatibility with Fusion (I'm using version 1.1) and Windows XP Pro X64.

Please advise, I'd prefer to use the 64 bit machine.

0 Kudos
MandarMS
Expert
Expert

can you make sure that you are installing latest Drivers for your Epson C88 printer

0 Kudos
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

Epson's site advises that their latest driver for the C88 printer is included with Apple's Leopard OS file and is automatically picked up during printing.

(As a footnote for your info the Epson site says this about other of their printers: "Note Leopard drivers for the following models ill be available for download soon... Perfection V200 Photo, Perfection V500 Photo, Perfection V700 Photo, and Perfection V750 Pro." )

-

Added question... I have a Coolgear Expresscard 34 that provides PC 25 pin parallel connector that is intended to be used for printers and other peripherals. My wife would like to be able to use this on her MacBook Pro with Fusion/windows xp Pro because one of her sewing applications requires a dongle to be plugged into a parallel port for the program to fully operate. Do you know if/how I can accomplish this issue?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you're directly connecting the printer to the guest (as opposed to printer sharing), the guest needs its own drivers; the host drivers are not used.

Fusion does not currently handle expresscard devices.

0 Kudos
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

Go back in the thread to my first entry. I am connected via my MBP (host) via its Airport thru the air to my airport Extreme to which the Epson C88 is connected to the Exteme's USB port. As I said earlier, everything works great when I use a Win XP Pro 32 bit virtual machine. My question is about the failure to connect to this same printer with a Win XP Pro 64 bit virtual machine. I also have an HP L7780 connected via ethernet to the same Airport Extreme. Its setup works fine with the 32 bit VM and it won't set up with the 64 bit VM. It seems to me that there is a problem with Fusion's ver 1.1 software interface with a Win XP Pro X64 OS. That is my question. The attached file is a pic of the error message I get when I get to the last step of the printer setup and click "finish." I hope this helps you.

Mike

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you logged on as administrator? Have you tried this with an actual Windows x64 computer (i.e. what makes you think it's a Fusion problem instead of a Windows problem)?

0 Kudos
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

I am logged in as the "Administrator" and there are no other "Users" yet established. (Just as I set up the other 32 bit machine which does work for printing. ) Can you give me any clue as to what additional access that Error message might be expecting in order to complete the task?

Both the Win XP Pro OSs, one the 32 bit and the other the 64 bit ... are brand new never used before OEM operating system disks that I bought in the last couple of weeks. The 32 bit OS is working fine; the 64 bit machine is also working with applications but not with printing via the Airport/Airport Extreme. So I am assuming it to be a Fusion problem though something could be wrong with Microsoft's work... hmmm, maybe that is more probable.

No, I haven't had it installed on a real hardware machine. My wife's Toshiba is the only windows machine in the house and I would be shot, figuratively, if I were to destroy her thousands of sewing and embroidery files before we have everything moved over to the new 15" MBP I just bought for her. We are proceeding well with that using a 32 bit OS with Fusion 1.1, of course.

Mike

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I am logged in as the "Administrator" and there are no other "Users" yet established. (Just as I set up the other 32 bit machine which does work for printing. ) Can you give me any clue as to what additional access that Error message might be expecting in order to complete the task?

No idea - I don't think it's our error message, but it's not clear where it's coming from. I would think it's Bonjour throwing the error.

No, I haven't had it installed on a real hardware machine. My wife's Toshiba is the only windows machine in the house and I would be shot, figuratively, if I were to destroy her thousands of sewing and embroidery files before we have everything moved over to the new 15" MBP I just bought for her. We are proceeding well with that using a 32 bit OS with Fusion 1.1, of course.

Yeah, I understand the perils of testing Smiley Happy I didn't think it was likely you had a spare Windows machine lying around, but thought I'd ask anyway.

Both the Win XP Pro OSs, one the 32 bit and the other the 64 bit ... are brand new never used before OEM operating system disks that I bought in the last couple of weeks. The 32 bit OS is working fine; the 64 bit machine is also working with applications but not with printing via the Airport/Airport Extreme. So I am assuming it to be a Fusion problem though something could be wrong with Microsoft's work... hmmm, maybe that is more probable.

It could also be a problem with Bonjour. If you uninstall VMware Tools and still get this error, this suggests it's either a strange low-level bug in Fusion or (more likely) a problem in the guest that we're faithfully replicating. Without tools, we only interact at the guest at a very low level (e.g. CPU, network, disk), and almost certainly not at the level of permissions.

Dumb question: you're using the 64-bit variant of Bonjour (it's not the same as the 32-bit version) with XP x64, right?

0 Kudos
walterwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was just passing by and did a quick bit of Googling on this thread.

See if this hit is germane to the problem at all:

key statement:

"Then after we add 64-bit support to Bonjour, you could switch over

to using the standard SDK"

Walter

0 Kudos
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for that great question. Indeed I had not realized that there was a 64 bit version of the Bonjour for windows. I downloaded and installed it and brought both of my printers "on line." It's great to have an expert so handy.

Thank you again!

Mike

0 Kudos
Mike_Inman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Walter, for looking into my problem. Etung's question was right on point; I didn't know of the 64 bit Bonjour for Windows. Installing that solved my problem. You were very kind to send your message to me.

Mike

0 Kudos
bprovenzano
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion does not currently handle expresscard devices.

Just noticed this line. Is this true even for eSATA expresscards? I would like to use an eSATA expresscard in a MacBook Pro with an external drive. If I do this I can run my VMs from there at optimum speeds - well, MUCH faster than an internal laptop drive that is for sure. Comments on if this configuration is supported? I know it works fine in Workstation 6, but I'm still waiting for Workstation 6 for Mac Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You can use devices like a hard drive attached via an expresscard so long as you're sharing the drive contents via Windows Sharing or VMware Fusion Shared Folders. The guest VM will not "see" an expresscard but OS X will make the mount disk available via sharing the same way it would make the internal drive available.

Also as a normal OS X device you can also store VMs on a drive connected via expresscard, again it's just that the guest OS is not really 'driving' the card directly.

0 Kudos
bprovenzano
Contributor
Contributor

OK then my scenario should work then. I want to add an eSATA expresscard + SATA external drive connected to OSX so that I store and run my VMs from it. All I'm looking for is that the vmware fusion host can handle the device as HDD that I can run my guest VMs from. Not looking to attach the device from within a guest VM which sounds like the unsupported situtation. Correct? Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, your interpretation is correct.

0 Kudos
bprovenzano
Contributor
Contributor

Great - thanks for your help.

Now to get that Macbook Pro - hopefully a nice update is released in Jan :smileygrin:

0 Kudos