VMware Communities
thatdidnthurt
Contributor
Contributor

Portal: The First Slice not working in Fusion

I am trying to run the new Portal free download from Steam in my Fusion XP image and it starts to load, then I get an error saying at least Direct x 8.0 is required. I have the 3d support checked in settings but still get this error. I know this is experimental support for this but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it. Xp is completely up-to-date and I am running this on a 2.2 GHz Macbook Pro with 4 gigs of ram - Nvidia card - purchased in August. Anyway - thanks for the help!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

As I understand the First Slice, it's a special promotion for owners of NVIDIA hardware. For example, you can only download it if a scan of your computer turns up an NVIDIA product. So I would not be at all surprised if it checked at run-time for NVIDIA graphics hardware as well.

Here's the tricky part: even if you have a Mac with NVIDIA hardware, your virtual machines on that Mac do not have NVIDIA hardware. The virtual hardware will identify itself as "VMware SVGA II," even if you've enabled the experimental support for DirectX.

So this may be why First Slice doesn't run in a Fusion virtual machine. Disclaimer: I haven't tried it myself yet, although I will.

0 Kudos