VMware Communities
davmp
Contributor
Contributor

Playing WinXP games in full screen?

I've recently tried out some of the DirectX capabilities in Fusion 1.1 by installing a fairly old game -- Diablo II LoD -- and it seems to have problems even though it only requires DirectX 7. It has a video test program that tries to determine if it should use DirectDraw or Direct3D APIs and gives you a choice between the two (both show up as a 'VMware SVGA II' card.) If I chose the latter, the screen gets corrupted in many places where there seems to be lots of motion, thus making the game unplayable. If I chose the former, most of the time things work great except when I try to run the game in full-screen mode. Then, the display looks fine but I don't get a real full screen, instead, I get a vertical and horizontal scrollbar and the game in a some sort of viewport. Smiley Sad

Note that the game only supports a resolution of 640x480 or 800x600 -- I've tried both -- and that I'm going full-screen on a 17" MBP with a native resolution of 1680x1050. Clearly, we have an aspect ratio mis-match and, for whatever reason, the Guest OS isn't really getting control of the full screen. I've also noticed these scroll bars if I simply go to full screen mode and then set my Windows desktop resolution to 800x600 so I don't think it is a problem with the game itself. Also note that in all cases, if I move the mouse to the top of the screen, I get my normal Mac/Fusion menu-bar in its normal resolution.

Is there anyway to configure Fusion so that the VM displays 800x600 as the full screen?

Is there something I'm doing wrong when using the Direct3D api's? The game is supposed to look better with those but I get the above mentioned corruption.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is there anyway to configure Fusion so that the VM displays 800x600 as the full screen?

Did you try : Fit Full Screen?

Is there something I'm doing wrong when using the Direct3D api's? The game is supposed to look better with those but I get the above mentioned corruption.

Do you have Accelerate 3D graphics set under Virtual Machine > Settings > Display?

0 Kudos
davmp
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet. I'm not sure this will help because the problem I'm describing is already intermittent -- sometimes 800x600 fits and there is no Mac/Fusion menubar when I move the mouse to the top of the screen and other times I get the scrollbars and the menubar when I move the mouse to the top of the screen. That being said, I'll give it a try.

Do you have Accelerate 3D graphics set under Virtual Machine > Settings > Display?

Yes, definitely.

0 Kudos
davmp
Contributor
Contributor

Not yet. I'm not sure this will help because the problem I'm describing is already intermittent -- sometimes 800x600 fits and there is no Mac/Fusion menubar when I move the mouse to the top of the screen and other times I get the scrollbars and the menubar when I move the mouse to the top of the screen. That being said, I'll give it a try.

Turns out I already had this set in my preferences file.

0 Kudos