VMware Communities
mikevio
Contributor
Contributor

Physical Memory Issue Fusion 6.02 1398658 and Mavericks 10.9.1

VER Y DISAPPOINTED! Just upgrade to Fusion 6 tonight... Was really excited... BUT!!

When starting virtual machine..... Not enough physical memory is available to power on this virtual machine with its configured settings. (Drop down)

It wants me to drop memory down to 256KB.  That works and starts virtual machine but windows will not function properly with that low of memory!  It happened when I upgraded from Fusion 4, (which was running great with about 1.5 GB of memory allocated!)

Its basically of no use to me now!!!!

Running OSX 10.9.1 Mavericks on Macbook Air 1.6 GHz Intel i5

Mid-2011 Model 2GB RAM

WORST OF ALL, I WROTE A COMPLIMENTRY SUPPORT TICKET AND UPON SUBMITTING IT, THE WEB PAGE COME BACK WITH "UNABLE TO SUBMIT REQUEST"

Please help with this VM... I really don't have the time to scour the web in search of solutions.  I hope it was an oversight on my part.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

2GB is barely enough to run 10.9 by itself.  Yes, Fusion is probably overly aggressive, but your experience will be pretty bad trying to run a VM on a 2GB machine.

0 Kudos
mikevio
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply... Yes, I agree that 2GB is low. It is hard wired RAM unfortunately on the Airs.  I had VMFusion 4 and was able to allocate over 1GB of RAM.  I was hesitant to run Mavericks but my wife works at Apple Store and said that Maverick is good utilizing memory. Mavericks itself runs fast believe it or not.  My concern was, I am able to select up to 1.6 GB of RAM in setting but VM can't run. why does it let me even select that much,  thanks again!

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Yeah, they got a bit overly aggressive on the message (a warning would have been sufficient).  There's another thread here with similar issues.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You did not mention the Windows guest OS type. Some like Vista will probably never even work on that low amount of memory, other versions might, but you'll have to sacrifice something else for that.

In this case that is 3D acceleration as that has a certain memory usage overhead.

If you turn off 3D capabilities of the guest OS you get up to 256 MB less overhead for the guest OS.

In order to do so, with the guest OS completely shut down, go to > settings > Display > switch "Accelerate 3D graphics" switch to "Off".

Not sure if it will help on your 2GB MBA, but I guess it is worth a try. It might help if your guest OS is very lean and has not installed a lot of software.

The only other alternative I see is to downgrade Mavericks.

hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos