VMware Communities
gcthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Phantom Mouse Clicks when using Spaces

Hi,

I have a Windows 7 (SP1) VM that I use with VMWare Fusion 3.1.2.

Pretty often when I switch between spaces and back to the VMWare VM (running on Space 2) it appears that the mouse has left clicked on a random part of the screen and new dialogs/windows are open that weren't there when I switched away from the session.

Is this a known issue? It's quite a dangerous bug as it could be something disasterous that is clicked on..

Cheers

Gordon

0 Kudos
12 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Was this behavior present before applying Windows 7 SP1?

Are the dialog boxes always the same?

A screen shot might be nice to see.

BTW At the present time Windows 7 SP1 is not a an officially supported Host or Guest OS with VMware Desktop Products and many Users have reported issues once upgrading the Host and or Guest with Windows 7 SP1. YMMV.

AndreaD
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. It's pretty random (happened only two or three times), so I can't say with 100% certainty that it's linked to Windows 7 SP1, but I think that it started only after installing SP1. In my case random applications are started, sometimes three or four at a time, or minimized windows are suddenly maximized. It seemed to me as if clicks on the dock in OS X had somehow been passed through to the quick launch bar in Windows. Is that possible?

Andrea

gcthompson
Contributor
Contributor

I think it happened before SP1 though I can't be sure.

A screen-shot isn't useful, it mainly seems to happen on the left and center monitors (i have three displays, 1 main display, one through display link and one from the displayport on the iMac). Generally what happens is that one of the toolbar buttons is clicked or a link is clicked in IE.

Quite spooky really

0 Kudos
gcthompson
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad i'm not alone in this, thought I was going mad 🙂

0 Kudos
xtremesniper
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting this in Fusion 4.1.3 running OS X 10.8.

I have Fusion running Windows 7 x64 running in a full screen space and I often switch back and forth using either the 4-finger mouse gesture or CMD+Tabbing to another program.

Often, I'll notice my mouse is flickering between the OS X mouse and a Windows mouse, and that's when I realize that my mouse clicks and keyboard presses are being replicated in the virtual machine. Sure enough, when I go back to investigate, some error prompts are open because I've been clicking around randomly without realizing it.

Ironically, I never got this when I was running Fusion 3.1.4 on OS X 10.7.

0 Kudos
srothaus
Contributor
Contributor

This is also happening to me (almost exclusively with Outlook) since I upgraded to Mountain Lion.

While working in the Mac environment, I sometimes find open windows and dialog boxes in Windows 7.

0 Kudos
xtremesniper
Contributor
Contributor

Bump because this is a big problem and I consider VMWare Fusion 4 to be a downgrade from Fusion 3 because of all the issues that have appared since upgrading.

I'm now forced to run in windowed mode to avoid the phantom mouse issue, which also forces me to not be able to run multiple monitors in the VM.

Pathetic. My trial runs out soon and I'm seriously being asked to purchase this? You can't take my money that easily, VMWare.

0 Kudos
srothaus
Contributor
Contributor

Experiment by changing your mouse setting in preferences to "Never optimize mouse for games" from the Gaming dropdown. See if that stops the phantom clicks.

0 Kudos
xtremesniper
Contributor
Contributor

Does not work. Just tried it out and sure enough after about 20 mins of use it started again. What bothers me is that this never happened in Fusion 3.

Another spaces related problem is that if you have the Full Screen Minibar open, it appears in ALL SPACES and constantly forces you back to the wrong space when you try to switch to or from Fusion. This also had no issue in Fusion 3 and only started in v4.

VMWare blew it.

0 Kudos
srothaus
Contributor
Contributor

Happening again with me, but not as often. The problem began immediately after upgrading my OS to Mountain Lion. (I'm using Fusion 4.1.3)

0 Kudos
xtremesniper
Contributor
Contributor

Having upgraded to Fusion 5, I have yet to reproduce this error. I'll report back if it happens again.

0 Kudos
srothaus
Contributor
Contributor

I also have not experienced mouse errors since upgrading to Fusion 5.

0 Kudos