VMware Communities
daedius
Contributor
Contributor

Petition for OpenGL in VMWare Fusion?

I'd gladly pay to see the feature in a next major release. Let's show our support! Add your comment if you agree!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

I would love to see OpenGL support, too.

0 Kudos
FForward
Contributor
Contributor

This would be awesome!

0 Kudos
davidrivera
Contributor
Contributor

I read in a another thread that VMware is considering adding OpenGL support in the next major release. Since Parallels has OpenGL support its almost certian that Fusion will add it as well. I just ordered Fusion last week I hope its not something I have pay to much for (free would be better).

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Since 3D is done on a per guest basis, so what guests would you like to see this in? What is the priority for you?

- Windows

- Linux

- Other guests

Pat

0 Kudos
FForward
Contributor
Contributor

Well first things first. So imho OpenGL would pay off most for Linux, at the moment.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am curious why you think Linux gets the most out of OpenGL?

Most of the customers I have spoken with believe OpenGL for Windows is most important to use engineering applications that are OpenGL based.

Just curious...

Pat

0 Kudos
rhind
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd like to see OpenGL for windows. We develop some applications that display scientific data in 3D and use OpenGL (and libraries that are built on OpenGL) and so in Parallels, do gain from the acceleration they offer. It would be nice to see this in a future VMWare release.

Cheers

Russell

0 Kudos
FForward
Contributor
Contributor

Well while OpenGL for Windows is important as well, its the only kind of 3d acceleration stuff around for Linux, no? - May be I am wrong.

0 Kudos
Pat_Lee
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well while OpenGL for Windows is important as well, its the only kind of 3d acceleration stuff around for Linux, no? - May be I am wrong.

Yes, OpenGL is the main 3D for Linux. One thing that is helpful to us as prioritize potential features is to understand what applications you are trying to run that require 3D support, as we are focussed on enabling real world applications with VMware Fusion.

Best,

Pat

0 Kudos
Tutor
Contributor
Contributor

Since 3D is done on a per guest basis, so what guests would you like to see this in? What is the priority for you?

1. OS X (I know Smiley Wink)

2. Windows

3. Linux

Cheers

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Exhale now for #1 Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Sunnz
Contributor
Contributor

OpenGL for Linux 32/64-bit and Windows XP all the way, thanks.

0 Kudos
daedius
Contributor
Contributor

Agreed, do it right, not half-ass. Nevertheless, DO IT! I don't want to have to start another "Petition for <operating system that didn't get OpenGL> in VMWare Fusion?" in another few months.

0 Kudos
kwarts
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to have the support for OpenGl as well. I use Raymarine navigation software (for boats) and although it works, it's very very slow.

0 Kudos
LeighGus
Contributor
Contributor

I vote for OpenGL in Windows XP.

My primary application is ESRI mapping tools. ESRI uses OpenGL. Any custom applications written using the globe also use OpenGL AND NEED MORE THAN 128MB OF VIDEO RAM.

So here is a second issue for Fusion: Remove the 128MB limit on video RAM for a virtual machine.

Leigh

0 Kudos
SLO_Chewie
Contributor
Contributor

Bump for OpenGL support. Personally I require OpenGL and 64 bit support for a Solaris 10 guest to run Pro/E Wildfire 3.

Windows is not an option.

0 Kudos
Alexgpl
Contributor
Contributor

OpenGL is necessary also for me...windows is necessary for CAD and CADs want OpenGL!

Thanks!!!!

0 Kudos
holtsch
Contributor
Contributor

OpenGL would be awesome! Personally, I only need it for Windows.

0 Kudos
CharlieE
Contributor
Contributor

I really need OpenGL under Linux.

0 Kudos