VMware Communities
bobroosth
Contributor
Contributor

Permanent USB device connections?

Is there some way to make usb devices (a proprietary software dongle and a flash drive) automatically reconnect when a Windows XP VM starts up? I now get them working by rt-clicking the usb icon in the VM window and selecting Connect.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bradley4681
Expert
Expert

I would think you should be able to put the connection information in the config file of the guest. I'd try this, Connect the device and then look at the config file to see if anything gets added to it after the connection. Copy that part and shutdown the machine, add it back to the conf file and boot it and see if it gets connected and nothing changes in the config

Cheers,

Bradley Sessions

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Cheers! If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Refer to VMware's knowledgebase article 1648 for the settings to automatically connect specific USB devices to a guest.

0 Kudos
bobroosth
Contributor
Contributor

That looks good. Thanks. I think I searched the KB, but obviously did not phrase the request properly.

0 Kudos