VMware Communities
HelterSkelter20
Contributor
Contributor

Performance on MBA? Lighest Windows set-up?

Hello,

I don't own VMWare Fusion 4 yet, but will probably get it in the coming hours.

First of all, I own the latest MacBook Air 11", i7 1.8 Ghz, 4GB RAM. I know I obviously fit in the minimal requirements, but do you guys have a clue about how it will feel? I mean it will run, but will it be fast enough?

My usage will mostly be running Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows (XP) VMs (one at a time) to run some pro software that involves even stuff such as DB connections to Oracle with the Oracle installed on that VM.. I mean, I don't want to go into details, but these are set-ups that even on a native Windows or Linux slow down the machine (still stays very usable).

My other usage will be to maybe have permanently a Windows running for Windows-specific software used on a permanent basis such as a WinRAR that has no equivalent on Mac or BeyondCompare which does not either.

For this latter use, the Windows will run more or less permanently, hence my question: what set-up do I need to make it as invisible as possible performance-wise on the host machine? what version should it be? I would go for XP, 2000 is maybe a bit too far? How much RAM award it? 256MB? 512MB? more?

My host machine needs to remain performant for stuff such as serious compiling program starting/running and so on...

And the last use is mostly for fun that is to try out new OSes, new Software without wrecking anything and stuff like that, so I am not worried at all.

Last question: while I assume running VMs from the native SSD in the computer is the fastest, is running from a fast external USB drive fast enough to be acceptable?

I might look a bit picky, but I guess all of us experienced having to work on a VM of a colleague, who was running Word, Outlook and whatnot on his host, the VM being on a drive connected to the USB port of his keyboard (can you find a slower USB port ? :smileysilly:) and on which you could type a whole sentence and then watch it appear...

Was a nice experience of schyzophrenia, seeing words written by you appear by themselves... but the efficiency was close to 0.

Real last question: are VMs from V4 compatible with V3? (assuming the OS installed on it is supported by V3 obviously)? and are VMs from V4 compatible with Windows-based versions of VMWare? And I obviously assume VMs created with V3 work with V4... right?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lsdidfjs
Contributor
Contributor

You cannot run a vm created with vmware fusion 4 on vmware fusion 3. However there is the capability to downgrade to make it compatible.

You should be able to run XP easily. Give it a gig of ram. I'm running windows 7 with 2 gigs 1 core and os x lion 4 gigs 2 cores on a 2011 macbook pro and performance is solid.

0 Kudos