VMware Communities
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Performance issues on internet and blue screens

Installed macOS Big Sur and upgraded to Fusion Pro 12. I have a powerful mac w 8TB and gobs of RAM. My internet is pathetically slow in my windows 10 VM. 6 Mbps download and 20 up in the vm. On the host MacOS it is 400 down. I have tried changing my network Adapter from Wi-Fi to Share with Mac, tired private connection, and there was no difference. Even tried to hard wire the internet connection and that managed to get it up to 70 mbps. I have a 4 TB image and 8 processors in the settings. Any advice? I have also been getting bluescreens in the VM. 

Is there a way to downsize the image? I can only seem to increase it in the settings. I am wondering if it is too big?

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro16,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 64 GB

System Firmware Version: 1554.50.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.12561.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02D68VSMD6T

Hardware UUID: 1109DAFF-96C8-5A2C-8DA6-5B49F35D899C

Provisioning UDID: 1109DAFF-96C8-5A2C-8DA6-5B49F35D899C

Activation Lock Status: Enabled

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out. I needed to wait about 10 minutes to run speedtest.net after booting the VM to get comparable speeds on the host and in the VM. Works for both hard wired and wifi settings. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi @rfustino1 ,

What about the network speed of your macOS Big Sur? Is there any application running in the VM when it gets blue screen?

0 Kudos
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network speed is 400+ on the macOS Big Sur. Been using Visual Studio Community edition preview, in my windows VM. Blue screen is happening a lot, since I made the VM drive 4TB. Right after i increased the size however, i had decent internet speed at 150+ initially in the VM. But now it is back to slow at 35. Is there anyway to downsize that to 3TB or a recommended max? I had it at 2TB w no blue screens.

0 Kudos
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Still blue screen on Visual Studio Community edition (not preview). help!

0 Kudos
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is so weird, sometimes in the VM i am getting very fast internet speeds, like 200+, but most times I am getting extremely slow, like 40. I increased the memory to 16, w 12 processors, not much difference. Bluescreen atttached.

0 Kudos
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think I figured out the best combo for network speed in the vm. I have my host mac hardwired, but using my wifi. In the settings of my vm, i have the hard wire connection set. Now getting 230 in the VM. The blue screen still happening. 

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

That's *way* too many processors.  Your machine has 8 cores, so no more than 7 (and better, 6) should be allocated to any individual VM.

Glad you figured out the speed problem - I've found the mac doesn't handle multiple active network connections gracefully.

For the blue screen, how was the VM made?  Converted physical machine, or created from scratch?

0 Kudos
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually, the speed issue is not consistent. Today, I started vm with the same network configuration I had before that seemed to work, and the speed was once again slow initially (30's) , but after waiting a few minutes, it was back up to an acceptable level (126) . So I was thinking maybe I just needed to wait a little before testing the speed in the VM. But a little later the speed was down again. I rebooted the modem. Same results(17 up) then up to 389 and 169 and then 17 and then 400+. So weird, seems to  be just going up and down. The image was built from scratch. I am trying 6 processors now with increasing the memory to 16384. Will let you know how that works as far as the blue screen. The only thing running when testing the speed in my VM is the Chrome browser using this speedtest https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test . host is consistent at 450+

0 Kudos
rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Speedtest.net reporting 400 download speed on host, 30 in VM. Anyone else seeing this? All network options tested in vmware settings... Wifi, shared, land line with similar results. 

rfustino1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I figured it out. I needed to wait about 10 minutes to run speedtest.net after booting the VM to get comparable speeds on the host and in the VM. Works for both hard wired and wifi settings. 

0 Kudos
valtrav
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

seeing same thing on macbook pro 16, vm fusion, new win 10 image but only when using bridged adapter setting.  When switched to NAT I get  300 mbs down

0 Kudos